Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

How do I disable the touchpad when a mouse is connected? There no longer is any option for this in Settings.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@GraniteSlate

To assist you better please provide me with the complete Notebook Model or the product Number

You can refer to this Link: hp.care/2bygf7l for help in locating the Product Number.

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

The model is 15t-da000

Product: 3FR22AV

Thank you

HP Recommended

@GraniteSlate

Thanks for keeping me posted

Please follow the instructions in this Link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03882926 to help you disable the Touchpad

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks, KrazyToad, but this didn't work. I've tried numerous times to double-tap the upper left corner of the touchpad, restarted, tried again, but I can't find anything that will disable the touchpad short of uninstalling it which I don't want to do. Any other ideas?

HP Recommended

@GraniteSlate

I recommend you follow the below steps and check if it helps.

1. Open Control Panel.
  2. Click on Hardware and Sound.
  3. Under "Devices and Printers," click on Mouse.
  4. On the "Device Settings" tab, clear the Disable internal pointing device when external USB pointing device is attached option.

Or you can follow the below steps.

1. Open Settings.
  2. Click on Devices.
  3. Click on Touchpad.
  4. Under "Touchpad," clear the Leave touchpad on when a mouse is connected option.

5. Once you completed the steps, the touchpad will remain disabled unless you disconnect your mouse.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you, but I don't have any of these options in my settings or device manager menu; I've tried the advanced settings and everything else. I would just disable the touchpad if I could but I can't even do that. The menu choice for that is inactive.

HP Recommended

@GraniteSlate

Follow the below steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: Open Device Manager. To do so, simultaneously press the Windows logo and R keys to open the Run command, type Devmgmt.msc in the box, and then press enter key.

Step 2: Once Device Manager is there on your screen, expand Test (if it’s not already), and then expand Mice and other pointing devices to see HID-compliant mouse entries.

Step 3: Right-click on the first HID-compliant mouse entry and then click the Disable option. Click Yes button when you see “Disabling this device will cause it to stop functioning. Do you really want to disable it?” warning message to disable the touchpad.

In most cases, disabling the first HID-compliant mouse should disable the built-in touchpad. But if the touchpad is working even after disabling the first entry, disable another HID-compliant mouse one after another.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.