Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP - 17-w151nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When I boot my HP Open up, there is a discolored line (see attached image) on the screen.  This line corresponds with the edge of the keyboard depression on the laptop base.  It is particularly evident on startup and when my screen is black.

The interesting thing is that in normal operation, the line is not there.  It only shows its face when the screen is darker or on startup.  So about 95% of the time I cannot see it, it only shows up when I code in text editors.  The line is annoying because I know this means those pixels are damaged somehow.

My questions are:

• What is this damage?  Is it permanent?  Why does it only happen when my screen is black?
  • I want to stop it from getting any worse, is there anything I can do?

Booting Screen.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Are you still under warranty? Yes that is a significant display panel defect with enough discolored pixels to qualify for screen replacement if you are under warranty. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Are you still under warranty? Yes that is a significant display panel defect with enough discolored pixels to qualify for screen replacement if you are under warranty. 

HP Recommended

I am still under warranty.  I will hold out for a while longer until it becomes unbearable.  Thanks for getting back to me!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.