Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Probook 4540s
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

In the Power Options I have set the display to turn off in 10 minutes when my notebook is plugged in.   I have a Probook 4540s with a Windows 10 operating system.   The display turns off in 2 minutes when I have no activity.  This causes a lot of extra time delay turning the display on and entering the password.    I attempted to fix the problem by:

1.   Resetting the BIOS to the factory settings.
  2.   Restore the Power Options to default settings.

They did not solve the problem.   What do I do to fix the problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Another option you could check is as follows.

From the Start Menu, select Settings, then Personalisation and then Lock Screen.  Neat the bottom of this window, select Screen saver settings.  Make sure that the dropdown menu under the Screen saver heading is set to None ( if it already is, select another option and the select None again ).  Click Apply and Ok to save any changes.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

Another option you could check is as follows.

From the Start Menu, select Settings, then Personalisation and then Lock Screen.  Neat the bottom of this window, select Screen saver settings.  Make sure that the dropdown menu under the Screen saver heading is set to None ( if it already is, select another option and the select None again ).  Click Apply and Ok to save any changes.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

DP-K:

Thank you very much.   I tested your suggestion.   My screen saver was set to None.   I changed it, and then reset it. Saved the changes.

Then I tested how long my screen showed its content before going blank.   It lasted for 10 minutes which is my setting.   The problem is solved.

GorCla

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're welcome and good to hear it's Ok :generic:

All the best,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

DP-K:

Your solution clearly works for resetting the length of time that my display remains active.   However, after resetting the display and using the computer for a while something changes the length of time my display remains active.     I set the time to 10 minutes, and that setting works for a while.   Then later on for some reason something changes that setting so that my display shuts off in 2 miniutes.   Also, after I turn the display on, I have to reset the screen saver to None using  your procedure for restoring the setting for the length of time the display is active.  What causes that resetting, and how can I prevent the resetting from occurring?

I don't like the time I spend turning the display on and then resetting the time until it turns off.

Thanks for your help.

GorCla

HP Recommended

As pointed out above the fix suggested by DP-K only prevents the disply from turning of early for a short period of time.   I also set the time for the display turning off to Never.   This did not affect the problem.   The display turns off in 2 minutes with no activity by the user regardless whether the setting is set to 10 minutes or Never.   This frequent turning of the display causes a lot of extra time.   What should I do?   Would reinstalling Windows 8.1 help?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.