Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP envy 6-1202ea
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello. I have a 2013 hp envy running Windows 10, fully updated. It has an Intel 4000 HD and a Radeon 8750m graphics.

The display is messed up on the laptop screen in that it's split into 4, with each of the 4 a duplicate of the desktop, however an external monitor will display fine. It doesn't seem to matter what display drivers I put on or take off.

I would think it's the screen that's the problem, however I have got the display working a few times.

The most consistent way to see the screen normally is to switch the laptop off for about an hour or so. In this situation the display will work until the HP logo starts loading, where after a few seconds it will mess up again. Weirdly, while it works fine in the bios up until this point, once the display splits it will stay split into 4 even in the bios after a restart, until the laptop is left off for a while again.

Another time was where a driver install really messed up and it failed to load Windows a couple of times - the windows repair screens displayed correctly when this happened. I sat on these screens for a while and there was no problem, until I restarted.

Finally, I had it working recently within Windows, after uninstalling the Intel adapter in device manager the same way I had tried 20 times before, it worked. The Radeon adapter was disabled by windows (error 43) at this point. I spent this time turning off automatic driver updates every way I could find. It worked fine until I restarted and immediately messed up again.

Any thoughts please on how I can get it to stay fixed? It seems to be something at the hp logo screen that breaks? It's so frustrating knowing it can work but having it break without doing anything.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@johnwilliams456 

See if anything in this thread helps:  https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/how-to-split-your-screen-in-windows-10/

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thanks for your support WAWood. Unfortunately the issue seems to be unrelated to that feature.

HP Recommended

@johnwilliams456 

Then, I don't know what to suggest as that feature is the only way I know to split the screen into 4 areas.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hello. After a lot of time and restarts I think I've identified the problem. While the display adapter drivers weren't fixing the issue the problem is with the driver for the monitor. It is determined to install "Digital flat panel" drivers which do not work. If I get it to change to "generic PNP monitor" then it works. The problem is every restart the laptop reverts to "Digital flat panel" even after uninstalling the monitor or choosing update drivers and switching to generic PNP. Any thoughts on how to stop it switching?

Thanks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.