Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Spectre 360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I turned my laptop on this morning and noticed that for some reason the text around icons, and also program windows were large and no longer display correctly on the window.

The issue occurs on the laptop, but also when I plug my laptop into my 2 external displays using the HP Dock. There has been no system change from what I can see - The resolution on the laptop is set to recommended 3840 x 2160, with 250% scaling (recommended) and the 2 monitors are 1920 x 1080 with 100% scaling.

I have tried changing the resolution on all screens and the scaling, along with disconnecting the monitors, but the issue seems to affect the laptop even when no external screen is connected.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the onboard UHD 630 graphics and the nVidia 1050ti graphics.

I have checked for any other system updates which might be available but it is all up to date according to HP support tool and website, and no windows 10 updates available

System is running Windows 10 Pro 1909

Any ideas? I have attached some screen shots to show how the text is displaying next to icons. Apps also respond in this way, as if they were too large for the screen - the only program which seems to be ignoring this scaling issue is Edge.

icon text.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Subsequently, I have now discovered the fix (but not the initial cause).

In windows 10 search if you type "Make Everything Bigger"  there are a specific set of options here for Making text bigger and making apps bigger.

Although both were set at 100% default, I simply increased the slider, and increased the size of apps, applied it, then set it back down to default, this correct the issue.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Subsequently, I have now discovered the fix (but not the initial cause).

In windows 10 search if you type "Make Everything Bigger"  there are a specific set of options here for Making text bigger and making apps bigger.

Although both were set at 100% default, I simply increased the slider, and increased the size of apps, applied it, then set it back down to default, this correct the issue.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.