Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
elitebook 850 G4
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am trying to get my 850G4 connected to my dual monitor hdmi KVM. On my Dell i simply have a USB-C to dual HDMI adapter and it works fine. But when i use same adapter; Windows does not detect the monitors.

Currently i have a DP to HDMI cable working; but that's only 1 monitor.

I saw another post here that points to a list of docking stations; is that the only way to get 2 monitors working? That wouldn't help me as i need 2 HDMI to go into my KVM. There is also a VGA port. When i connect that through a series of adapter cables; Windows does detect the 3rd display; but nothing on the display.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@ptalindstrom 

Machine has following ports

• VGA (Dsub 15 pin) supporting 1920 x 1200 external resolution @ 60Hz; hot plug/unplug and auto detect
  • USB Type-C (basic)
  • DisplayPort
  • RJ-45
  • Docking connector
  • Audio-out (headphone)/audio-in (microphone) combo jack
  • AC port
  • USB 3.1 Gen 1 charging port
  • USB 3.1 Gen 1 port

You can connect to 2 external monitors w/o a dock using VGA (no conversion) and DiplayPort.

Note: You  can use DP to HDMI but you must use native VGA connection

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thank you for very fast response. So this seems to match up with what  i've seen. usb-c doesnt have video, not sure why my vga to hdmi doesnt work.. but lines up with what you are saying. So basically, only way to use my 4 PC/dual monitor KVM is to spend a few hundred on HP's custom docking solution? Would that have dual hdmi's out so that i could then connect it to my KVM?

HP Recommended

@ptalindstrom 

That is your KVM requirement, not normal direct dual monitors 

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

I little digging and i guess VGA to HDMI needs an adapter; not just a cable (as i was trying). So $15 for VGA to HDMI adapter. Hopefully this works or need to return the HP laptop.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.