Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop 15-ec1150nd
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

Could somebody confirm for me whether or not my HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop 15-ec1150nd has an 'alt mode'-capable USB Type-C port, capable of utilizing DisplayPort technology?

The datasheet implies a 'yes,' although it's written under the RAM header. Upon purchasing, I had assumed the USB Type-C port was capable of this functionality based on this datasheet.

The rest of the documentation implies a 'no,' although there is no clear answer.

I have tried the usual things, the PC is fully updated, but I suspect it's a simple lack of hardware capability. It's also possible that the monitors I attempted it with were not capable of using DisplayPort technology.

Kind regards,

H-P-user-21442

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@H-P-user-21442 

Its specs, it is a NO, machine only has 1 SuperSpeed USB Type-C® 5Gbps signaling rate port:

https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c06647003

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the rapid response. I feared as much, but the messed-up product information has become a real annoyance.

Here's the datasheet I mentioned, where connecting a display on its USB Type-C port is claimed as a possibility, albeit under a wrong header, on page 2 (this datasheet doesn't seem to be available in English, see translation below):

https://www8.hp.com/h20195/V2/GetPDF.aspx/c06644435

"Laad je apparaat op of sluit een extern display aan via slechts één USB-C®-poort met 10 Gb/s datasnelheid. En hij is omkeerbaar, dus je kunt het apparaat of display ook ondersteboven aansluiten.

(Charge the device or connect an external display through just one USB-C®-port with 10 Gb/s data speed. And it is reversible, so you can connect the device or display upside down. - my translation.)

I take it that the charging through USB Type-C claim was also wrongly included, along with the 10 GB/s data speed... The reversibility claim is certainly true, however... I can connect all sorts of things 'upside down', which sounds as absurd in the translation as it does in the original text, but what I can't do is connect a monitor using USB Type-C, upside down or otherwise. 

What do you make of this? Even if it's an unintentional error, it's still, in the end, false advertising. I'm now struck with this product, two monitors, and no solution in sight. 

HP Recommended

Could you address my concerns when you find the time?  Thank you.

Kind regards,

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.