Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Toshiba C660-1J2
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I own a Toshiba Satellite C660-1J2 which I want to upgrade to Windows 8.1 64 bit's. Windows 8.1 supports the Video as Microsoft Basic Display Adapter. Actualy it is a Intel® HD Graphics. Now I can't adjust the native screenresolution of 1366 x 768.

I tried some drivers from the Inter Support site but I can't find the correct driver. Which driver do I need voor the Video of my notebook?

Is there a driver for the complete Intel® Chipset (Intel® 5 series - 3400) in this notebook?

Thankyou and best regards,

Bill

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi, Bill:

Your notebook is not supported beyond W7 for drivers.

Here is what I would try...

First install the latest W7 Intel chipset driver and restart the PC.   Download, unzip and run the setup application.

This driver should actually install some updated drivers beyond what W8.1 installed.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/20018/INF-Update-Utility-Primarily-for-Intel-6-5-4-3-900-S...

Next...download and save, but do not run this W7 Intel graphics driver for your notebooks onboard Intel graphics...

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/22521/Intel-Graphics-Media-Accelerator-Driver-Windows-7-64...

Download and install this free file utility.  The 2nd file listed is for 64 bit.

https://www.7-zip.org/

After you have installed 7-Zip, right click on the Intel graphics driver file you saved.

Select 7-Zip from the list of items on the menu.

Have 7-Zip Extract to:   and let it extract the file into its folder name.

Once that is done, go to the device manager, click to expand the Display Adapters device manager category.

Click on the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter.

Click on the driver tab.  Click on Update Driver.

Select the Browse my computer for driver software option, and browse to the driver folder that 7-Zip created.

Make sure the Include Subfolders box is checked and see if the driver installs that way.

Then restart the PC.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul, thank you very much for your reply. I have noticed that, after I installed Windows 8.1 (x64), the Video Driver will be recognized correct when I enable the feature .net 2.0/3.0 as well. Now my video is perfect without installing a Windows 7 driver.

I was very happy when I found in my archive a DVD with Windows 7 x64 drivers for my Toshiba Satellite C660-1J2, I collected the drivers when I installed Windows 7 those days.

For all the devices Windows 8.1 was not having a correct driver, I used the Windows 7 driver and (I was surprised), there were no issues. All the drivers seems to function correct within Windows 8.1.

As I understand from your reply, I could upgrade som Windows 7 drivers by using the software you suggested. First I will make an image of the current configuration and then I will try to upgrade the drivers.

I have an other issue at the moment, my new battery is not recognized. The supplyer advised my to renew the driver Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery. I wonder 🙂

no-battry.jpg

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

The only suggestion I can offer would be to see if watching this video is of help to you...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-6epAJdoLc

HP Recommended

Hi Paul, the battery I bought was defective, I received a new one (warranty). I have not updated the chipset driver yet, I will inform you later. Thank you and best regards, Bill

HP Recommended

Hi Paul, I tried tot update the drivers. Unfortunately the latest W7 Intel chipset driver gives an error. When starting the setup.exe I can click througt the first two windows and then an error appears: can't copy files. I was logged in as administrator and I ran the setup with elevated preveliges. Could there be somethong wrong with the pakkage? The Video Driver I used (8.15.10.2900) is newer than the Graphics Media Accelerator Driver, so there was no need to update.

HP Recommended

Hi:

Unfortunately, I don't know why that chipset driver didn't work for you, so I guess you will have to leave it as is.

It should have worked.

There is nothing wrong with the file since I have used it many times myself to update the chipset software on my Intel series 3 to series 6 chipset notebook and desktop PC's.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.