cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
LouisaB
Level 1
3 1 0 0
Message 1 of 1
Flag Post

Elan Touchpad Not Working Correctly

HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 15-cs1506sa
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My touchpad has been acting up since at least November last year and has been getting progressively worse. 

I find that it will open things when I move the cursor over them, it drags things around that I don't want to move, it will try to select things that I don't want to, it will close things if I even hover over the option.  It has got to the stage now where it is making the computer unusable.

I have checked the drivers are up to date. They are.

I have reinstalled it several times. Still the same issue. 

I have altered the touchpad sensitivity settings and it is the same on every setting.

I have tried the troubleshooting on the computer and the diagnostics, but it just tells me it is working fine.

I have tried calling HP tech support with regard to potentially getting a replacement touchpad but have had no success.  I was told the computer would have to go to be repaired.  I need the computer for work and this is not an option.  I did ask if they could tell me the model of the touchpad or if I could order one from them, but was told they could do neither. 

Unfortunately I also can't get into the laptop to see if it has the model on it either, because this particular model is made needlessly hard to get inside of.  

I have had to work with an external mouse to get anything done, but then have the additional problem that I can't disable the touchpad since there is no option to do so in any of the places where you would normally find this option. 

Can anyone advise as to what I can do to get this touchpad to start working properly again. 

The computer is out of warranty so that is not an option.

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation