Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
EliteBook 840 G3
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have connected my EliteBook 840 G3 (Skylake CPU) to a HP 24-inch monitor (model L2335) via VGA. Its a direct connection, a VGA cable from the VGA connector on the EliteBook to the VGA connector on the 24-inch monitor.

The native resolution of the 24-inch monitor is 1920x1200, but the EliteBook is doing only 1920x1080. I cannot choose a higher resolution via the Intel graphics software utility or the  Windows OS.

Note that if I connect my Dell 27-inch monitor to the EliteBook via a Displayport-to-DisplayPort cable, a resolution of 2560x1440 is possible. So the EliteBook, as such,  is certainly capable of higher resolutions than 1920x1080.

EliteBook has BIOS 1.04 and Windows 7 64-bit Professional with lastest Intel graphics 520 drivers.

Can an EliteBook 840 G3 outpout 1920x1200 via its VGA output connector?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

VGA port on your machine only supports 1920 x 1080 max.  VGA abd DP (Display Port) are two different technologies (VGA is analog and DP is digital) you can't compare apples with oranges.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi,

VGA port on your machine only supports 1920 x 1080 max.  VGA abd DP (Display Port) are two different technologies (VGA is analog and DP is digital) you can't compare apples with oranges.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply!

Perhaps this is already mentioned in the HP EliteBook documentation, but I didn't find it.

I will try with a DisplayPort (digital) to VGA (analogue) active adapter - hopefully that will work! The DVI port of the L2335 monitor is already connected to another PC, so am obliged to use the VGA port on the monitor to connect my EliteBook.

HP Recommended

I also found this:

Link to HP SUPPORT COMMUNICATION - CUSTOMER ADVISORY

The EliteBook 840 G1 (1st generation) already had the VGA limitation of 1920x1080.

HP Recommended

The documentation for the HP EliteBook 840 G3 states that it has VGA resolution up to 1920x1200 @ 60hz... So, it should be working at that resolution. I'm having this same issue as I have two displayport monitors running at 1200, but my VGA monitor (since I can't ust the onboard displayport while the notebook is docked) doesn't have the option to go above 1080. Can anyone provide details on FW updates that solve this issue?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.