Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Elitebook 1040 G3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Windows 10

HP Elitebook 1040 G3
UltraSlim Docking Station (demonstrably not the issue)
ASUS Monitors Hooked up to docking station 1xDP-HDMI / 1xVGA
Intel HD Graphics 520 drv-21.20.16.4550

Issue: Screen flickering on DP-HDMI monitor. Screen will with seemingly random consistency go black for varying amounts of time (at most 5-10 seconds, but usually 1-3). The behavior seems (subjective) to be related to amount of resources being used. When lots of stuff is open, the issue is more apparent.

There are no issues with the VGA connection, itself. The VGA connection will NOT be detected if DP is already hooked up. In order to bring both monitors up, I have to unplug both cables, plug in the VGA, then plug in DP-HDMI. Faulty performance/flickering occurs regardless of whether VGA connection is detected/operating. If both cables are connected and, using Intel GFX Display UI to "Detect" additional monitors, I lose the VGA connection. 

My colleague and I both got these same laptops, with the same docking stations, presumeably set up identically, with identical monitors, and identical cables. The problem doesn't occur with his set-up.  However, the problem does occur with my laptop using his set-up. 

I have run the HP "Download and Install all of our recommended software" program, and have installed all recommended software. I have tried to install the UltraSlim Dock DP update mentioned in the previous threads (note... from 2016), but not recommended by the Image Assistant , and have received the error "Unable to located DP MST IC"

The problem is with the laptop. 

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

I had this problem and installing the docking station firmware update solved it for me.  SP79015 Version 2.33.000 Rev. A. Jan 1, 2017

Read this first.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp79001-79500/sp79015.html

When you install the new firmware make sure you notebook is docked and that you have at least one DP monitor attached to the unit and turned on.

Link to the new firmware.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp79001-79500/sp79015.exe

HP Recommended

This helped me out and looks to be working much better for me.  The problem described above is the exact same issue I had and upgrading the docking station firmware seems to have worked.  Thanks guys!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.