Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Elitebook 745 G3
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have an Elitebook 745 G3 with Windows 7. Under normal use (i.e. no peripherals) it works perfectly - however, when connected to a docking station and an external monitor (doesn't matter whether via DP or VGA), it hangs at random. Not your typical BSOD, the screen just freezes up, and i have to do a hard reboot to get things going again.

When i use the docking station without any external monitor, it works just fine.

I tried to use another monitor (different brand) to see if it makes a difference. It doesn't.

I've searched this forum for answers to no avail.

What I did so far is update everything:

BIOS - 01.19 - 06/08/2017

Graphics  - 

TITLE: AMD Video Drivers and Control Panel
VERSION: 16.40.3601.1003 REV: F PASS: 29

Docking station VGA driver: sp79014

Docking station DP driver: sp79015

And everything else the HP SoftPaq Download Manager recommended (audio, ethernet, USB 3.0)

Still, i haven't been able to solve it. Any ideas short of getting my laptop replaced?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello,

I have noticed this problem happening many times with my own Elitebook. I managed to solve it by updating the graphics drivers. I would recommend getting them direct from AMD and yes, this means you would have to install their Radeon software.

Do let me know if this solves your problem.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello,

I have noticed this problem happening many times with my own Elitebook. I managed to solve it by updating the graphics drivers. I would recommend getting them direct from AMD and yes, this means you would have to install their Radeon software.

Do let me know if this solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thank you. I really had to install the very latest version of Radeon Software (17.7.2), which looks to finally have solved the issue!

HP Recommended

I am glad to have helped!

Feel free to post around here again if you come across any problems with your machine. I am happy to have met another Elitebook 745 G3 user (we're rather thin on the ground, I gather) here!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.