Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Elitebook 840 G3
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi,

its documentation states that

DisplayPort - Supports resolutions up to 4096 x 2160 at 60 Hz

Does it mean that both DisplayPorts in UltraSlim Docking Station can use this resolution so I can have two panels each up to this resolution (eg two 2560x1440 or two 4096 x 2160 etc)  or is it limit of sum of both monitors resolution and it wont work because
2560 + 2560 = 5120 is higher than  4096
and 1440 +1440 = 2800 which is higher than 2160?

Thanks for advice.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

It's a matter of bandwidth. The spec I saw for the Ultra Slim Docking Station shows that it uses the Display Port 1.2 standard which supports a maximum bandwidth of 17.28 Gbits/sec. Most docks and display port hubs share bandwidth so you need to determine the bandwidth the two monitors combined will use. Here is a bandwidth calculator.

In the example you gave each 2560x1440 @ 60hz monitor will use 6.6 Gbps.  x2 = 13.2 Gbps which is lower than the 17 Gbps max of the Display Port 1.2 standard.

So it should work but I hesitate to guarantee that it will work. 

There may be some other parameter I haven't thought of. :indifferent:

:Wink: If you found my answer helpful please say thanks by clicking on the Thumb's Up icon.
        If my answer solved your problem please mark it as the Accepted Solution. Thanks!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

It's a matter of bandwidth. The spec I saw for the Ultra Slim Docking Station shows that it uses the Display Port 1.2 standard which supports a maximum bandwidth of 17.28 Gbits/sec. Most docks and display port hubs share bandwidth so you need to determine the bandwidth the two monitors combined will use. Here is a bandwidth calculator.

In the example you gave each 2560x1440 @ 60hz monitor will use 6.6 Gbps.  x2 = 13.2 Gbps which is lower than the 17 Gbps max of the Display Port 1.2 standard.

So it should work but I hesitate to guarantee that it will work. 

There may be some other parameter I haven't thought of. :indifferent:

:Wink: If you found my answer helpful please say thanks by clicking on the Thumb's Up icon.
        If my answer solved your problem please mark it as the Accepted Solution. Thanks!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.