Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Elitebook 1040 G3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have an issue with my external HD display flickering sometimes. Actually it goes black every 2-3 minutes and then it comes back to normal.

The connection is via HDMI cable and it happens on every display i connect. it is the same if I go in extended mode or just single external display with laptop lid closed.

thanks

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

For troubleshooting, try it on a different display with the same HDMI cable.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Make sure you have all of the latest drivers installed.  I suggest that you load SDM (SoftPaq Download Manager).  This tool will help you download and install updates.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/ads/clientmanagement/drivers-bios.html

This will make sure you are current with all the drivers for you system.  If this does not resolve you issue and you contact HP technical support one of the first troubleshooting steps they will take will be to load the latest drivers.

I also suggest that you go to the link below, explore and become familiar with all of the HP Client Management services and tools available.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/ads/clientmanagement/overview.html

I believe the latest Win 10 video driver for the 1040 G3 is SP75984 (20.19.15.4444).

Joel

I am an HP Employee.

If you like my post, click the thumbs up.
HP Recommended

I also have this problem, which is really annoying!

I have a new HP EliteBook 1040 G3 with all the latest drivers installed (screen, bios, graphic card). I connect my Eizo secondary screen with HDMI to DVI cable. When I connect the laptop to other external monitors and projectors it also flickers once in awhile.

The flickering occurs sometimes often and sometimes more seldom, it can stay on for hours and flicker 2-3 times per minut. No specific scheme could be told.

HP Recommended

Have you tried applying what as suggested for the original poster's issue to yours?

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

I registred an issue about this at HP support and a HP technichan where here and replaced the motherboard and now it is working as aspected.

Thank you HP for your superb support in this issue!

HP Recommended

@MatzHoog wrote:

I registred an issue about this at HP support and a HP technichan where here and replaced the motherboard and now it is working as aspected.

Thank you HP for your superb support in this issue!

You are very welcome. Kudos are also welcome.

HP Recommended

Hello Igor,

I had the same problem. I tried updating all the drivers, reinstalling Windows, but nothing helped. I also tried to turn off the LTE modem in BIOS, but again without the result. Finally, I downloaded a BIOS upgrade program from my product support. My current version was 1.9 and when updating to 1.10, the keyboard backlighting was turned on automatically. What is most important, however, I can clearly state that after one hour of operation of my secondary 4K Samsung monitor, this external monitor via HDMI works great and no image black errors. As it is wroten in another discussion, the trouble-free operation of the monitor does not interfere with my LTE smartphone, which is just next to my elitebook 1040 g3.

Hope that BIOS update will help

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-elitebook-1040-g3-notebook-pc/8654820

HP Recommended

I would try updating the display driver first.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.