Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY x360 - 15m-cn0012dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Recently I had to reinstall Windows 10 (64bit), I was able to reinstall my programs and back up my data without much issue. However, I am having an issue with my device recognizing the native WBDI Finger Print Reader. When going through the sign-in options screen through windows 10 I receive the following message regarding windows hello fingerprint: "We couldn't find a fingerprint scanner compatible with Windows Hello Fingerprint"

Upon Inspecting the device manager menu the drivers that appear to be causing the issue are "Synaptics WBDI fingerprint reader - SPI 093" under biometric devices and "ELAN EzTouchFilter" under Human Interface Devices. The respective error messages for each of these devices is as follows 

Fingerprint reader - 

"This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)

{Operation Failed}
The requested operation was unsuccessful."

EzTouchFilter - 

"This device cannot start. (Code 10)

A request for the HID descriptor failed."

Currently, I have tried updating each driver within the device manager and uninstalling each driver restarting the PC. Neither of these methods has fixed the issue, unfortunately.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@EpidermalVector 

Forgive any misunderstanding on my part - I want to confirm a few details:

Assuming you have completed the following:

• HP software and drivers have been updated, for OTHER than the fingerprint reader driver, including the latest chipset and BIOS for your computer.
  • Windows Updates are current and completed.  You are updated to Windows V1903 (V1909 possible but perhaps not yet on general distribution at this writing)

If yes, continuing...

After other dates are completed, update the fingerprint reader driver

Basics - Update / install the fingerprint driver

Control Panel > icon view > Device Manager 

Open Biometrics

Right-Click on your fingerprint driver > Uninstall

Open your computer's website support page  (how to find computer homepage later in this message)

Open Category Software and Drivers (exact wording varies)

Open Section Driver - Keyboard, Mouse and Input Devices

Download-Save the latest fingerprint reader driver

NOTE:  The exact name of the driver varies - usually contains the word "fingerprint".

OR

Your fingerprint reader driver download and information website here:

Synaptics Fingerprint Sensor Driver (Windows 10 v1903)

Open File Explorer (formally Windows Explorer)

Navigate to the folder in which you saved the fingerprint driver installation package (likely Downloads)

Double-tap on the installation file to install the driver

After the driver is installed, Restart the computer and log in

Open Sign-in options and set up your fingerprint.

References

At this writing - Driver information includes:

SOFTPAQ FILE NAME: SP96925.exe

OPERATING SYSTEM(S): Microsoft Windows 10 version 1903 (64-bit)

DEVICES SUPPORTED:
   Synaptics SMBus TouchPad
   Synaptics WBDI Fingerprint Reader-SPI 093

Reference and Resources – Places to find (more) help and learn about your Device

Clarification of terms and "what the device can do" (Specifications)

Device Homepage

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

HP Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides, Product Information, more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP ENVY x360 - 15m-cn0012dx

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Select the relevant post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hello there, 

Thank you greatly for your detailed response. 

I will start by confirming your initial assumptions and letting you know that I am currently running windows 10 v1909. I believe that because I am running the most up to date version of windows this may actually be the problem. 

I followed your directions and used HP download and install assistant to download/install the fingerprint reader driver. Upon completing this action a dialogue window opens with the following text: 

"Info, Target Path : C:\SWSetup\SP96925\
Info, Execution : C:\SWSetup\SP96925\install.bat"

I also receive an error message with the following warning: 

"The driver is not supported on this OS version (10.0.18363)"

Given that the most update to date driver for this device only accommodates Windows 10 v1903 will I simply have to wait for HP to release a more up to date driver in order to be able to use this device? If this is the case it is no problem but I'd like to confirm it is just a matter of waiting for the most recent update. 

Cheers!  

HP Recommended

@EpidermalVector 

I would guess that your guess is accurate.  Smiling.  "We wait."

It is PERHAPS the case that due to the manner in which the new embedded features are handled (switched on in V1909) , that the Driver and the File System changes are indeed at odds.

Updates for Windows 10, version 1909 and Windows Server, version 1909

See the release notes...

I really don't know.  Rats.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Select the relevant post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.