Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Notebook HP ENVY-17-n005ur (energy star) N2H64EA#ACB
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Fn keys suddenly do not work. Do not work with the fn-button, do not work without the fn-buttons. How to enable function buttons? I can not turn off the keyboard backlight, change sound. The combination of fn+esc do not work. Please, help.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @irrina

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Try these steps - 

1) Press and hold the Power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
2) Turn on the computer and immediately press the f10 key repeatedly to open the BIOS Setup Utility.
3) Press the right or left arrow key to select the System Configuration menu.
4) Press the up or down arrow key to select Action Keys Mode.
5) Press the Enter key to display the Enabled / Disabled options. 

BIOS setup window with the System Configuration option and Action Keys Mode selected

6) Press the up or down arrow key to select one of the options.
Enabled: Does not require pressing fn to use the actions printed on the function keys.
For example, pressing f8 lowers the sound as printed on the key. Alternately, pressing both the fn + f8 minimizes and maximizes a web browser.
Disabled: Requires pressing fn to use the actions printed on the function keys.
For example, pressing f1 opens a help window. Alternately, pressing both the fn + f1 keys puts the computer to sleep as printed on the key.
7) Press the f10 key to save the selection and restart the computer.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The proposed solution did not help.

fn-button does not work in any situation. Pressing f5 always refreshes the page. fn + f5 = page refresh. f5 only = page refresh. I can not turn off the backlight of the keyboard, change the sound and brightness.

HP Recommended

@irrina

I suggest you run a Keyboard Test to confirm the Hardware Functionality

- Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the Notebook.
- Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. 
- When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
- On the main menu, click Component Tests and Keyboard

Keep me posted

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

I conducted a keyboard test, according to the results, only the button "PS" does not work. But it actually works fine. I do not know how to find the test results to copy them here.

But I checked the bios again. Action Keys Mode to display the "Enabled".
I did not change anything, but after exiting the BIOS and rebooting the fn-buttons  worked correctly.

HP Recommended

@irrina

I'm glad you got this issue sorted out

Do visit our HP Support Community and drop us a message anytime you need help

Thank you 😊

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.