Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 (13-ac003nf)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I use often external monitors for my HP Spectre notebook. And it happens very often that after about 20 min of work, suddenly the screens (both laptop and external during) frozen 1 sec, then black during few seconds and then it come back. It seems that it started to occur after a Windows update 1.5 to 2  years ago. And it appears more and more often. Some times it happens even 3 times in same minute... It becomes very hard to work and concentrate.

Furthermore, it creates problems for some applications that loose the image (when linked to graphical resources, like WebGL on browsers, Google Maps must be restarted for instance after each event like that).

I think it happens mostly when I'm using external display, but not sure it is linked only to that. Even without external display some times the image blink, but very quickly. When I have an external computer it takes 3 to 10 seconds to come back.

I tried to update and check the drivers, all seem up to date.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @NicolasFagart

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you with the display issue.

Let's try these steps -

1) In the search box on the taskbar, type Device Manager, and then select Device Manager from the list of results.
2) In Device Manager, expand Display Adapter. 
3) Right-click on the Display Adapter, and then select Uninstall device > Delete the driver software for this device check box > Uninstall.
4) Restart the computer. 

Download and install the BIOS, Chipset drivers from this link

You may also refer to - HP PCs - Troubleshooting HDMI Display and Sound Issues (Windows) 

If the issue still persists, try connecting the Notebook PC to an alternate external monitor or try swapping the cables. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day!

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thanks for your messages,

I tried the first advise: I deleted the driver, downloaded and reinstalled the BIOS with the given link.

Unfortunately I did not have time to work a lot on my laptop since that moment, but it seems that it has fixed the issue !

I need to test a bit longer because the problem was appearing not regularly and some days did not happen other days it was happening many times.

Hopefully it will be fixed and I'll "accept the solution".

Thanks a lot !

Nicolas **bleep**art 

HP Recommended

Sure @NicolasFagart

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.