Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Envy 17
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

On Windows 10 I play a few games. When I play them, the game will crash and/or restart. I get program errors and .net errors in the error log. I recently read that this may be due to a video driver problem. I have a NVidia GeForce GT 740M graphics card. My laptop is an Envy 17 with an i7 processor. Does anyone know how to correct the problems? I have tried all the troubleshooting tasks I can think of as well as reinstalling the video driver. Please help me. This is frustrating me to no end. Thanks.

William Kochevar

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Good news everyone.  I solve the problem with the video driver  and my games crashing.    Originally I thought the problem was related to a Nvidia driver problem.  This morning I was thinking about what to do next to try and resolve the problem.  Then it came to me to delete the Intel 4600 video driver.  I deleted the driver and rebooted Windows 10 to let the operating system install a default driver for the Intel 4600 video card.  Apparently the Intel driver must've been corrupt.  Since letting Windows 10 install a new driver, I had no problems with my games crashing.  My system is working great since then.  Also I noticed the graphics on my computer look better in the resolution of the screen is also better.  So, to make a long story  less  long, the problem I was having my video and games crashing seems to be resolved.  I've been running my games extensively, testing every aspect to make sure the problem really is fixed.  It seems to be fixed.  Thanks to all who tried to help me fix the problem.

William Kochevar

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hello bkochevar

I dont know if I can help, but I would need to know a few things first...

What is the full model number of your PC?

What are the games?

What are the errors and the error log contents?

Maybe I can find an answer.

HP Recommended

Hello,

Laptop model: HP ENVY TouchSmart 17t-j100 Quad Edition CTO Notebook PC (ENERGY STAR)

Games crashing: Big Business Deluxe, Age of Empires: Castle Siege, 2020: My Country

Most games just crash and restart with no error log errors. I suspect a video driver problem with my NVidia 740M video card. All 3 were downloaded from the Windows store.

Errors:

Log Name:      Application
Source:        Application Error
Date:          10/30/2016 6:09:01 PM
Event ID:      1000
Task Category: (100)
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      Bill
Description:
Faulting application name: BBDeluxe.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x57f3d701
Faulting module name: BBDeluxe.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x57f3d701
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0068e33e
Faulting process id: 0xd94
Faulting application start time: 0x01d232f9b5fd7ea1
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\0EB8BD08.BigBusinessDeluxe_3.1.8.0_x86__erk4rrwmt7jyt\BBDeluxe.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\0EB8BD08.BigBusinessDeluxe_3.1.8.0_x86__erk4rrwmt7jyt\BBDeluxe.exe
Report Id: 87c7fb9a-7d7a-40e5-9d6b-d8319aef57c7
Faulting package full name: 0EB8BD08.BigBusinessDeluxe_3.1.8.0_x86__erk4rrwmt7jyt
Faulting package-relative application ID: App
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Application Error" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>100</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-10-30T22:09:01.754008700Z" />
    <EventRecordID>27493</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>Bill</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>BBDeluxe.exe</Data>
    <Data>0.0.0.0</Data>
    <Data>57f3d701</Data>
    <Data>BBDeluxe.exe</Data>
    <Data>0.0.0.0</Data>
    <Data>57f3d701</Data>
    <Data>c0000005</Data>
    <Data>0068e33e</Data>
    <Data>d94</Data>
    <Data>01d232f9b5fd7ea1</Data>
    <Data>C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\0EB8BD08.BigBusinessDeluxe_3.1.8.0_x86__erk4rrwmt7jyt\BBDeluxe.exe</Data>
    <Data>C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\0EB8BD08.BigBusinessDeluxe_3.1.8.0_x86__erk4rrwmt7jyt\BBDeluxe.exe</Data>
    <Data>87c7fb9a-7d7a-40e5-9d6b-d8319aef57c7</Data>
    <Data>0EB8BD08.BigBusinessDeluxe_3.1.8.0_x86__erk4rrwmt7jyt</Data>
    <Data>App</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

Log Name:      Application
Source:        .NET Runtime
Date:          10/30/2016 6:09:01 PM
Event ID:      1026
Task Category: None
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      Bill
Description:
Application: BBDeluxe.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: exception code c0000005, exception address 0164E33E
Stack:

Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name=".NET Runtime" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1026</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-10-30T22:09:01.005544200Z" />
    <EventRecordID>27492</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>Bill</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>Application: BBDeluxe.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: exception code c0000005, exception address 0164E33E
Stack:
</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

HP Recommended

Thanks for the info.

I had to step away for the evening so I have to keep it short for the moment.

You have a CTO edition (Configure to Order) which means HP doesn't post the specs for it.

I assume this error started recently after the big Win10 Annv. updates.

Check out this set of solutions from WindowsReport.

Go through the manual fixes 1-3 for resetting Windows Apps.

Let me know how it goes.

http://windowsreport.com/apps-crash-anniversary-update/

HP Recommended

I fixed this error after the anniversary update. I thought it was fixed. Then after the last Microsoft update to Windows 10, the air started happening again. After about 10 to 15 minutes playing the games they suddenly crash and restart. I lose much of what I was doing. I have tried installing the latest video drivers from Nvidia. I have searched the web for solutions, but have not found one currently that works to fix my problem. I am in the process of using the suggestions in the link you provided, but as of yet and not solve the problems. Thank you for your help. If you have any other ideas please do not hesitate to share them with me. At this point I will take any suggestion seriously.

William Kochevar

HP Recommended

OK Ill let you know if I find anything else.

Im not confident in updating video driver for the Windows App crashes.

This is a problem within Windows itself.

This is why so many of us dislike the forced update policies for Windows 10.

We have no control if they break something. Just saying. 

HP Recommended

As a possible solution, I tried to downgrade the driver from Nvidia.  I tried this twice and both times the games keep crashing.  Does anybody know what prior Nvidia driver might work.  At this time, I am unable to contact Nvidia due to an error logging into the website.  Anyone can help me out I would appreciate.  Thanks.

William Kochevar

HP Recommended

With Nvidia's help I have been able to  upgrade video driver to the latest driver.  We also did extensive troubleshooting to try and find the problem with the video drivers on my laptop.  Nvidia's latest suggestion was to upgrade the bios of the  laptop.  I looked on HP's website and after searching for updates, I learned that there were no updates for my laptop.  The date of my bios is 7/22/2016.  I am wondering if the bios on my laptop, created before the anniversary update to Windows 10, could be causing the problem?  I am not opposed to purchasing a new laptop if that is necessary.  My current laptop is an HP envy 17t-1000. is over 3 years old and close to 4 years old. I could purchase a new laptop  which could possibly solve my problem with the Nvidia drivers causing my games to crash.  If anyone has any ideas on this, please let me know.  Thanks.

William Kochevar

HP Recommended

Until Windows comes out with another fix for their updates, I feel you will continue to have this odd issue with the Windows game apps.

You can try using the HP Support Assistant to search for a bios update. Sometimes on rare occasion, it will show a newer version than whats listed on the website.

Hopefully if someone else has a better fix, they will chime in.

As far as buying a new laptop to settle the issue, do so for your own satisfaction of having a newer system or because you want to run some higher end games now. Its also good to have a backup computer in case something happens.

But your system isn't so old that its not capable of running simple Windows apps and such. 

With that said, IF I was going to spend money on another gaming laptop, I would go for something like the HP Omen with an SSD and separate graphics card, similar to what you have now.

Just my 2 cents.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply.  I have tried all  of your suggestions.  According to the HP website, there are no updates for my laptop on Windows 10.  I will search again for a bios update.  It's a long shot but I'm willing to try.  As or buying a new laptop, I was thinking the HP Omen would be a good choice. I would only buy a new laptop after I have determined that the video card is really my problem.  I will keep looking into the problem and hope someone else has a better idea.  Thank you for your assistance.

William Kochevar

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.