Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15-au077sa
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

IMG_1152 (2).JPG

Hello - when I turn my laptop on, the screen goes as the attached image, with horizontal lines covering 99% of the screen. Only the top 1% is functional, the rest is frozen. Then after 3-4 minutes, it goes to normal and the laptop works fine. 

it only does it when starting up usually. I tend to notice it is more common when I've taken the laptop with me for work during the day and it's been in my car boot in cold temperatures

is this likely to be a failing graphics chip? 

Many thanks in advance

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@tomtracey12

Thank you for joining HP Forums. 

I'll be glad to help you 🙂 

As I understand you are facing issues with the display.

No worries, as I'll be glad to help you, that said, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern & provide an accurate solution:

Is it happening only when you log in, or it happens randomly?

Did you try any troubleshooting steps?

Meanwhile, I would request you to re-start the notebook, keep tapping F10, and let me know if you see those lines in the F10 screen as well.

Do get back to me as I have a few more tricks up my sleeve.

Have a great day Ahead!

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Barachiel,

Thanks for getting back to me.

With regard to your questions:

Is it happening only when you log in, or it happens randomly? - Before this month, i'd say it happened twice randomly ie having been using the laptop for hours - but on the earlier occasions, the first of which occurred a month after I bought the laptop, it was only covering about a 10% band of the screen - shutting and re-opening the screen lid fixed this. 

This month, since it has got worse as pictured, it only occurs when I turn the laptop on from a cold start, but not every time. It tends to be more frequent if the laptop has remained in my car turned off all day in fairly cold temperatures (not snow/freezing). However, it does occasionally do it having been in my home and turned on the next morning. It doesn't do it every time though, for example it hasn't done it for around 3-4 days now.

I haven't tried any troubleshooting steps and I will try the F10 technique when it next occurs but I imagine they will remain there, as I can still log-in with the screen lines and can see the screen has changed from the log-in to the actual Windows home screen in the top 1% that was unaffected - the rest of the screen was still frozen on the log-in screen.

Kind regards

Tom

HP Recommended

Hi @tomtracey12

Thank you for replying with this detailed response 😉 
I appreciate your time and efforts,

If that's the case, I'd recommend you to contact the HP phone support team.

HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:  

* Open link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/

* Enter Product number or select to auto detect

* Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

* Scroll down and click on HP contact options - click on Get a Case & phone number.

They will be happy to assist you immediately. 

If the unit is under warranty repair services under the manufacturer's warranty will be free of charge.

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi there, thanks for the reply.

I've just tried the F10 startup and the lines still remain on the screen.

When connecting to an external monitor, the external monitor has no problems at all.

The frozen screen underneath the lines, whilst it doesn't work, does change intermittently e.g. after I boot up, it will display the lock screen. But after logging in, perhaps after 10-15 seconds, it will change to the home screen but will still not work. It doesn't freeze entirely to that first screen, it does change with what the computer is doing but is still not functional until about 3-4 minutes later when the lines disappear and the screen works as normal.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.