Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy Notebook M7-N101DX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I only need to know if the HDMI port is output-only, or is it capable of input as well?

If it is input-capable, does it require setup to use it in this mode?

I'd like to transfer video from a tape in my HDMI-capable Sony Handycam directly into my computer for video editing.

My computer is an HP Envy Notebook M7-N101DX, Model M1W07UA.

Thank You.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi,

It has HDMI out only. What is the model of your Sony ?

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply!  It is as I expected, unfortunately.  This has become a real quest for me.

I'm trying to help a friend convert a Mini-DV tape recording of a family funeral to DVD's so she can share them with the rest of her family.  She had borrowed a camcorder, a Sony Handycam HDR-HC1 to create the tape.

I have a Panasonic DVR with DVD burner and a Panasonic DVD player, and can usually copy the video to a master DVD-RAM, edit it, and then create multiple DVD copies without any problems, but not this time!  I own several older camcorders, but nothing that can play a Mini-DV tape.

After several weeks, she managed to borrow the original camcorder again.  But when she brought it to me, there was a battery charger in the case, but NO power or AV cables.  I can probably get the tape to run OK without a power adapter cable by running it off the batteries.  But I without AV cables, I still can't copy it.

She has contacted the person who owns the camcorder, but they can't locate either the power or AV cables.  I know there are AV cables available for this camcorder on Ebay and have given her that info.

Then I discovered the camcorder had an HDMI port and I thought I might have found a workaround.  But that's apparently not the case.

So I'll just wait for her to obtain the AV cable, and then I'll be able to finish it.

HP's website indicated my computer HAS an HDMI port, but doesn't say whether it's output-only or input/output capable so it wasn't helpful.

Thank you for letting me know what I've got to work with (even though it's not the answer I would have preferred).

At least I think I know what my options really are at this point.

Larry

HP Recommended

Hi,

The HDMI port on the camera is for conntecing camera to a TV for watching footages. I use firewire port on my laptop. Unfortunately bew consumers laptops do not firewire port. Please try the following option:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BthebohwsDk

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Great advice.  This gives me even more options for helping her.

Thanks,

Larry

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.