Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

HP ENVY Laptop 15-ep0098nr

Product number 3G675UA#ABA

3rd major problem in 5 months! (time spent on fixing them: 1 week, 1 month, and 1 week so far on this one with no solution. why did I buy HP?!). I hope I don't have to reset to factory settings again! (which would make it 6th or 7th time in 5 months)

The touchpad randomly either stops working completely, or I get double slick when I click once, the pointer moves randomly when I`m not touching the touchpad. This happens on average twice a day.

The only way to fix this for a while is Searching "Change Advanced StartUp Options" in Cortana and then clicking "restart now" under advanced startup. After restart  click turn off PC. This fixes the problem once, though it usually comes up again in a few hours or less. Regular restart, regular shutdown(hybrid/fast bootup) and regular shutdown(command: shutdown /s /t 1) does not fix it.

I have tried running hardware diagnostics, Windows update, rolling back touchpad drivers, and installing the latest touchpad drivers. Is there any solution other than deleting everything and restoring to factory settings?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@rohankataria

I reviewed your post and I understand that the touchpad stops working randomly.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

I recommend you update the BIOS and the chipset driver from the below link and check if it helps.

BIOS: https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp111001-111500/sp111196.exe

Chipset: https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp103501-104000/sp103888.exe

If you continue facing the issue, then uninstall the touchpad driver from device manager and then download and install the driver from the below link.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp103501-104000/sp103897.exe

Here is how it is done.

1. Type "Device Manager" into the search field to open the device manager console.
  2. Expand the node that represents the type of device that you want to uninstall, right-click the device entry, and click Uninstall.
  3. On the Confirm Device Removal dialog box, click OK to start the uninstall process.
  4. When the uninstall process is complete, remove the device.

NOTE: On the Confirm Device Removal dialog box, click the Delete the driver software for this device option to delete the driver package that was used for the device.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

P.S: Welcome to the HP Support Community 😊

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

BIOS error.PNG

I got this error when trying to update the BIOS. My hard drive has 100s of GBs of empty space

The error says "There is not enough free disk space to complete the System BIOS and Device Firmware update operation. Delete some files to free disk space then retry again."

HP Recommended

@rohankataria

How many partitions do you have on the hard drive? How much space is available in all the partitions.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Partitions.PNG

I see only 1 partition - C: with 401GB free. I haven't altered this in any way.

I updated the BIOS using Windows update, and also updated the chipset driver using the link you put in your earlier comment. I still find the touchpad stops working sometimes, or other times it keeps left/right clicking even if I'm not touching it. Restarting the laptop fixes it. It happens on average once a day.

HP Recommended

@rohankataria

I recommend you perform a system restore back to the date when the touchpad was working fine.

Refer to the below link for detailed steps.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03327545

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

As I mentioned in my first comment, I was hoping I don't have to reset to factory settings again! It would be the 6th or 7th system reset within 5 months of getting this laptop. Very frustating!

HP Recommended

@rohankataria

I recommend you contact support to further diagnose the issue.

Here is how you can get in touch with support.

1)Click on this link – www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.