Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY x360 Convertible 15-bp1xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have a HP Envy with a synaptics touchpad (Synaptics SMbus ClickPad). I have heard that the synaptics dirvers supplied by HP can be replaced with synaptics drivers which enable Microsoft's precision touchpad features. I have read a few threads which advise downloading a driver (n1mgx28w) which enables these features as expected but causes my touchpad to stop responding after a few minutes. 

Does HP offer a precision touchpad driver, or does anyone have any tips for enabling these features on an Envy?

Many thanks

System Specs:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8550U

8GB RAM

128GB SSD

1TB HDD

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Managed to solve the issue by following steps on a similar thread: 

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Precision-Touchpad-Driver/m-p/...

Check the post by 'Thecrs', following those instructions as well as putting my laptop in airplane mode whilst uninstalling drivers worked for me.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@V15VA
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Try restoring the BIOS to default and check if it helps.

1.    Turn off the computer and wait five seconds.
2.    Press the Power button to start the computer and repeatedly press the F10 key to enter the BIOS setup menu.
3.    On the BIOS Setup screen, press F9 to select and load the BIOS Setup Default settings.
4.    Press F10 to Save and Exit.
5.    Use the arrow keys to select Yes, then press Enter when asked Exit Saving Changes?
6.    Follow the prompts to restart your computer.

If the issue persists continue next step

• Windows + X --> Device Manager --> Mice and other Pointing Devices --> Synaptics SMBus Clickpad --> Uninstall device. 
  • Make sure that the delete drivers options are checked. After that do a reboot. 
  • I then installed the windows precision driver, just follow:

https://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/66163/how-to-install-precision-touchpad-drivers-on-windows-10/

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner
, Thank you for posting in the HP Support Community.  Have a great day!

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Firstly, thanks for your reply!!

Uninstalling the driver completely before installing the precision driver definitely helped. The touchpad no longer stops working completely.

However, occasionally gestures stop working in Windows apps (legacy apps still scroll fine when this happens). Also the touchpad remains permanently 'clicked' if I physically push down the touchpad (as opposed to tapping) until touch the touchscreen.

Any ideas?

Thanks!!

HP Recommended

@V15VA

I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue. As its a hardware failure( button pressed in), I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to check the available service options for your laptop.

HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:

• Click on this link – www.hp.com/contacthp/
  • Select the product type.
  • Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.
  • Select the country from the drop-down.
  • You should see the HP support number or Chat option listed

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Managed to solve the issue by following steps on a similar thread: 

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Precision-Touchpad-Driver/m-p/...

Check the post by 'Thecrs', following those instructions as well as putting my laptop in airplane mode whilst uninstalling drivers worked for me.

HP Recommended

Here's the updated solution:

https://pastebin.com/z4RUShaS

HP Recommended

What was the steps you took for your HP Envy x360 computer? I ask because  your instructions have info like "Spectre model"  and "driver by right-clicking the Synaptics device." which I do not understand.

HP Recommended

This solution works up to a point - windows will continue to reinstall the Synaptics drivers which will supersede the Precision drivers.

To prevent this, follow these instructions :

Use the windows ‘Hide Updates’ tool

Following several complaints, Microsoft has released a tool to hide unwanted updates, which makes the process much simpler than before:

1. Download the Show and Hide Update Troubleshooter from Microsoft here
  2. Uninstall the Synaptic drivers from the device manager .
  3. Start the Show and Hide Update Troubleshooter.
  4. After you start the program, click Next
  5. Choose Hide Updates
  6. Select the Synaptics update by checking the checkbox on the left.
  7. Press next and complete the set up to prevent windows from automatically updating the Synaptic drivers.

You can reverse the process if required by viewing the hidden updates using the same tool.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.