Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

After the update to Windows 8.1 a while back, the touchscreen function on my laptop went away. Every time i go to see my PC info it says "No pen or touch innput is available for this display". I have tried almost everything I can think of. I have used recovery mode and have even refreshed it. Just last night my touchscreen randomly started working at around 11:00 p.m. and this morning the touchscreen functionality went away once again. I went to my Device Manager and saw that in the Human Interface Devices section there was no touchscreen driver. My laptop has seemed to lost all touchscreen capability and I really need help.

Is there ANYTHING I can do????? PLEASEE HELP!!!!! 😞      😞      😞      😞      😞      😞      😞      😞

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@Avious_Avi,

Thanks for posting.

Personally, since you mentioned the touchscreen worked before Windows 8.1, I would do a Windows refresh: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03538721

You can also try updating the drivers of the product to try and get that functionality back.

**TechWars**

Please click the "Thumbs-Up" on the left to show appreciation. Please click "Accept as Solution" if I helped you out.

**TechWars** does not work for HP
HP Recommended

Thank you, TechWars.

However, I just found that my HID Compliant Touchscreen Driver is greyed out. I went to device manager and clicked on "more actions" and clicked on "view" and "hidden devices". I found that the HID Compliant touch screen driver is installed, I think, and it is greyed out. It shows this under the properties of the driver: "Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45)
To fix this problem, reconnect this hardware device to the computer."

Now, I have no idea how to reconnect this specific hardware device. Under the "Details" tab i selected "Is present" and it showed "<false>".

Is there some way now that I can fix the issue without refreshing my laptop?

ALSO: I tried updating every single driver from the website for the product. Still doesn't work.

I have provided an image to just give an idea of what I'm talking about.Screenshot of drivers.jpg

HP Recommended

Did you ever find a solution to this? Having the same issue. Did all the same as you and showing that the touch screen is not connected.

HP Recommended

I never found a solution this. As of now, the touch screen driver isn't even showing up when it shows hidden devices/drivers. I've called HP, but they want me to send it in and pay around $200. I'd rather much just invest in a new laptop, which I am going to do. (And it won't be an HP one for sure)

All of these "important updates" from microsoft aren't even fixing the problem. HP doesn't even seem to know what is going on. This is all just evidence for their lack of care for the customers and even their products.

I guess you could sent your laptop in to HP and pay the $$$, but I have found no other way of fixing this issue. Sorry.

HP Recommended

I just wrote about this separately before finding this thread.

I have the identical problem.  Anyone manage to fix this yet?

HP Recommended

Apparantely the company that supplied the touchscreen driver has been out of business for a while. I believe they filed for bankrupcy. So, to my knowledge, they stopped updating the touchscreen driver and so the touchscreen will no longer work.

You can send you laptop into HP for $$$ (around $140 I think), but it will be a waste of money. I think all HP will do is simply replace the touchscreen with another from another company which still supplies and updates touchscreen drivers.

This is really poor doing on HP's part. I switched to a Mac recently because of the really crappy support and the lack of reliability on HP, not to mention that the previous HP laptop I had was simply horrible.

If you want you can contact support and contact the manager's of the managers and what-not and see if you can squeeze a deal out of HP by complaining and arguing about this issue.

So, long story short, restoring your laptop, refreshing it, etc. will not solve the problem. In fact, the problem cannot be solved unless you send it into HP for some $$$ right out of your wallet. I say save that money for something else and perhaps invest in a better laptop (preferably not from HP) if possible.

HP Recommended

I've been experiencing all of the touchscreen problems and tried all of the remedies listed above just short of reloading the operating system. Since Windows 8.1 was no longer supporting pen and touch on my HP Envy Touchsmart Sleekbook it was difficult to navigate as Win8 is designed for touchscreen. For this reason I decided to upgrade to Windows 10 since it's more mouse pad friendly. Shortly after the upgrade I noticed the touch keypad icon on the task bar. So I looked in the device manager and to my surprise it was back and working. At that I opened the Tablet PC Settings, configured it and ran the set up. It now seems to be working again sporadically, more often than not. Just thought I'd share so hopefully others can find success with it and maybe learn how to make it stay on for good.

HP Recommended

To fix touchscreen

When touchscreen is active, select settings. In the window and type “Tablet PC Settings” and select it. First, click on Initialize and follow the directions. When complete, hit escape and select “Set up” and follow the directions. If either of these procedures fails it’s because touchscreen functionality has been lost. Repeat when it comes back.

Now select Window key + X for Device Manager. Select View and from the dropdown menu select “Show Hidden Devices”. Select “Human Interface Devices” and right click on HID Compliant Touch Screen and click on Properties. Select the power management tab. De-select “Allow this computer to turn off this device to save power” Repeat this procedure for the 2 USB Input Devices.

When you right click on these devices it should say that they are working properly. If not you must repeat the entire process. When fully completed, Touchscreen will be restored.

HP Recommended

My old but still very usable HP Envy 4 Sleekbook Laptop lost access to the touch screen about the time it upgraded itself to Windows 10.. Now even if I re-install Windows 8.0/8.1 in a supported OS the LCD panel works fine but device manager doesn't show a touch screen or give me an option to install a driver.. Is the Touchscreen IC still avaiable as a part.. I have no problems doing the service myself and it's severely out of warranty.. Still love the device however... Let me know what my options are.. I keep hearing that the company that makes that component went out of business, I am wondering if HP has that part available in supply. 

Let me know.. Don Burnett (Former Microsoft MVP who has helped with HP Tech Days) in the past on forums here..

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.