Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY TouchSmart m7-j120dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

It seems from the forum posts that there are many many people with the same issue, and no solution to the problem!  When will HP take responsibility for this issue and provide a solution?

The issue is the "Touchsmart" screen is no longer responding to touch!!!  What's the point of a touch screen laptop if it does not respond to touch!!!!

I have been through all the proposed solutions ... device manager... etc. etc... but still nothing...

Under System: Pen and Touch it says: It says no pen or touch input is available for this display

Please can HP help its customers resolve this issue?

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hello @HP-Envy,

Welcome back to the HP Forums!

I came across your post and want to help you restore the functionality of the touchscreen on your HP ENVY TouchSmart m7-j120dx. This seems to be a driver related issue, but could be related to something else as well.

To being, please perform a hard reset. Next, I recommend restoring the BIOS so the notebook will research the hardware that it has installed.

HP Notebook PCs - Restoring the BIOS

Once the BIOS restoration is complete follow the steps in this touchscreen troubleshooting document, I know you have completed most of the steps from it but doing it after the BIOS restoration is key.

HP Notebook PCs - Touch Screen Issues (Windows 10)

(If component tests is not an option in step four of that document, use the testing for hardware failures document)

HP Notebook PCs - Testing for Hardware Failures (Windows 10, 😎

I look forward to your reply with the results!

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Thanks _ I will try these in the ext week and revert

HP Recommended

I tried these tests and still nothing.  I think Windows 10 has removed the drivers.  How can we check if the driver is there - it is not showing up under devices?

also in the UEFI Component Test there is no Touch Screen option in the list!!!!   the instructions do not cover if this does not appear.  

i need my touchsmart screen back - what else is the purpose of the machine!!!

please help

HP Recommended

Hello @HP-Envy,

You can try installing the graphics driver from the product page:

HP ENVY TouchSmart m7-j120dx Notebook PC (ENERGY STAR)

There is also a maintenance and service guide as this could be a hardware issue like a loose connection.

HP ENVY TouchSmart m7 Notebook PC Maintenance and Service Guide

Please contact HP Support for more information or assistance following the guide.

Contact HP Worldwide

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

I have a Envy m7-n109dx with exactly the same problem, I just bought it a month ago. I hope you can fix it and if you fix it please post the solution. I'll try to do the same. Thanks.

HP Recommended

Try the link below to see if it helps:

ttp://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Video-Display-and-Touch/SOLVED-Pavilion-x2-10-touch-screen-amp-audio-failure-after/td-p/5668778

HP Recommended

Didn’t work for me, Windows still shows “No Pen or Touch Input For This Display”. And every time I reestart my laptop, the line "Touch Keyboard and Handwriting Panel service",  in Services, change the Start Up Type value to Manual every time i modify it to Automatic.

Thanks anyway.

HP Recommended

i still have yet to find ANYONE that has resolved this issue....and have been living with using my TOUCHSCREEN TOUCHSMART HP ENVY without the touch capability....  I am pretty much fed up with this - Windows 10 removed the touch part and NO ONE FROM HP is willing to do anything about helping fix it.  

the suggestion was to go and DOWNLOAD drivers - THERE IS NO DRIVER FOR THE TOUCHSMART SCREEN in the LIST at that link!!!  the standard instructions to resolve this DONT WORK because under DEvice Manager / Human Interface section there is NO driver for the TOUCHscreeN - it has been removed with Windows 10 upgrade....

there are so many people that have reported this problem - HP is not taking responsiblitiy for this!  

HAS ANYONE SOLVED RESTORING THE TOUCH DRIVERS? ??    Can anyone please help?

HP What is the fix?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.