Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Envy x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm trying to have my HP Envy x360 laptop display to multiple external HP27f Monitors via an HP Spectre USB-C Travel Dock. The dock does not seem to work for this. It works for other peripherals but the external monitors do not receive a signal. This is the third USB-C external dock that I've tried. What's the fix for this? Is it a configuration setting or something else? Any help is greatly appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello @Holzy,

I would suspect that there is a hardware limitation. USB-C ports aren't all created equally and need to support the DisplayPort Alternate Mode or the Thunderbolt 3 Alternate Mode to support display output.

However, a specific model name or product number is needed to verify. E.g. HP Spectre x360 - 13-ap0028ca or 5MT98UA#ABL

Information on how to find a laptop's model name or product number is detailed in this HP document. (Please do not post serial numbers on the HP Support Community. The difference between a product number and a serial number is that the product number contains a # sign)

I used to be an HP Expert. I no longer participate in this community.
HP Recommended

Eddy K,

Thanks for your reply. Here is my set-up" HP Envy x360 Convertible 13y094cl Laptop , connecting by a brand new Spectre USB-C Travel Dock 2sr85aa#abl, trying to connect 2 HP27f monitors.

According to HP Tech Support person last night it seems that my laptop is not capable of powering the display port i.e. it is 'underpowered' to do this task. It is a consumer, not business grade laptop...... I love the laptop and all of the HP gear, but I'm extremely frustrated that I can not use 2 external monitors with it... Does anyone have any recommendations to make this work other than buying a new laptop?

Thanks in advance,

Holzy

HP Recommended

Yeah, according to specifications, the USB-C  port does not support video output. The consumer/business part doesn't matter, more recent consumer level models have the right hardware.

My only recommendation would be to use the one available HDMI port on your laptop in combination with a USB 3.0 to HDMI adapter to connect to 2 monitors.

I've recommended this model on the forum numerous times and it seems to work decently for the most part. I can't absolutely guarantee compatibility and reliability, however.

I can't think of any other options.

I used to be an HP Expert. I no longer participate in this community.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.