Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion dv6
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a Pavilion dv6, which I’m trying to install the Epic games launcher on. Whenever I try to launch, it says I have an unsupported graphics card. The computer has 2, the intel integrated graphics, and AMD Mobility Radeon HD 5000 Series. I can’t seem to get the right drivers for the AMD chip, even from the HP driver website. And the driver recovery disk is so badly labeled I don’t want to touch it. Any help?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

Unfortunately, the only operating system that will work on your model is W7.

There are no working W8/8.1 or W10 graphics drivers for the Intel/AMD switchable graphics adapters your PC comes with.

HP Recommended

But with win7 end of support around the corner, how am I supposed to play my games?

cant you guys help me and a lot of other people out and just edit the code to make it for win10?

HP Recommended

Don't you think if it was that easy someone would have done that by now?

Intel and AMD are responsible for developing the drivers and they are not supporting those adapters for any other operating system beyond W7.

I don't work for or represent HP and I don't write drivers, so there is no way I could help you with something like that.

It would take a lot of work to develop drivers with no guarantee of success.

You can continue to run W7 for years.  It just won't have security support.

Anyway this subject has been beaten to death for years and nothing will ever be done to remedy the situation.

HP Recommended

On AMDs website, they have drivers for the chip itself, and after installing there’s a context menu item for switchable graphics. You think it works? Still can’t open Fortnite, but maybe something else works?

HP Recommended

That's the problem...

Because of the specialized switchable graphics, the standalone AMD W10 driver won't work.

That is for desktop PC or notebooks that just have the AMD HD 5xxx graphics.

The driver developed by Intel and AMD collaboration was specially designed to work exclusively with the Intel/AMD switchable graphics.

They only made one driver, and never updated it...even for W7.

Most notebooks with the AMD/Intel switchable graphics don't work on W10 because Intel and AMD are not interested in developing drivers for obsolete hardware.

I guess it must be a very complicated process.

It stinks, but it is what it is.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.