Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ProBook 440 G7
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Good evening,
I got my new HP HP ProBook 440 G7 (3C084ES) today. As far as everything is fine, except that I can't adjust the screen brightness with the keyboard and the F3 and F4 keys. I can adjust the brightness under the settings in Windows 10, but it should also work with the F3 and F4 keys. I had to completely reinstall Windows 10 because the notbook only had FreeDOS. After that I installed all the necessary drivers and no problem is displayed in the device manager either.
It would be helpful if someone could help me.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@Maxime93 

Please try

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp81501-82000/sp81790.exe

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

@Banhien

the link cannot be opened because this error occurs: "Not Found
The requested URL /pub/softpaq/sp81501-82000/sp81790.exe was not found on this server. "

HP Recommended

It seems that a Microsoft update killed the feature for my ProBook 440 G7.  I had to go uninstall windows update KB4578968 to get my brightness keys to work again.  You can do this by doing the following: Open System Settings -> Check for Updates -> View Update History -> Uninstall Updates -> Double click the KB4578968 update to uninstall.  I also had issues with my display settings (F1) and microphone mute button (F8).  

Edit: It was also another MS update in combination.  The other update was KB4579311.  I uninstalled it first but didn't think it had an effect.  It did however. So you need to uninstall both KB4579311 and KB4578968 (and then find how we can get support to re-install them AND have our keys work)

HP Recommended

Per this and another topic on the support-forums here, that link does not work, and the issue looks to be actually related to the 2004 update (KB4579311) itself. If I had to guess, given I've had this issue before, it looks like the driver for the laptop's screen isn't working with the new update. Is there any kind of update as to when they're planning to update that so we can update Windows 10 properly?

HP Recommended

There was a keyboard hot keys driver update recently that fixed the issue created by the KB4579311 MS update.  Everything seems to be functional again

HP Recommended

Interesting... I don't suppose you have a link? I can't seem to find anything current online when I do a search.

HP Recommended

I don't see the update posted on HPs website, but my Windows Update pulled it in fine.  If you try to update your keyboard drive in Windows Device Manager, you should also be able to pull down the latest.  The version I have is 11.1.5.1 dated 10/20/2020. 

Be careful as another later Windows update has borked the keys again.  This really seems to be a recurring issue with this particular driver set it seems.  I don't see how HP can't get this right

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.