cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
Level 1
7 4 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

HP Spectre not waking from sleep

HP Recommended
Spectre
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi. I'm having an issue with the Spectre not waking from sleep.

I just purchased this a few days ago, prior I had a Surface Book II - which woke from sleep in milliseconds. When I open the lid of the HP it doesn't wake up, when I press the keyboard or mess with the track pad it doesn't wake up. I have to press the power button multiple times before it finally comes to life. 

I believe my settings are correct. Maybe I just don't know how to wake the Spectre up. I've ensured that it is not hibernating, but in fact sleeping. I've read other posts about how to troubleshoot, but non of the solutions are working for me.

Am I just being impatient? It's taking 10-15 seconds before responding to the power button. I feel like that is way longer than it should be. I was used to the Surface Book waking immediately. All I had to do was open the lid of the Surface Book, or if lid was open, just tap the keyboard or track pad. This is not the case with the Spectre.

I'm guessing there is setting I don't have right, or as I said, maybe I just don't know the trick to waking it up.

On another note.... this thing gets VERY hot. and... the webcam it HORRIBLE, Uhg..... Help Please? Suggestions? 

Thanks so much - God Bless 🙂 

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
10,453 10,454 445 698
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@BrandyKennedy Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that the HP Spectre not waking from sleep.

What is the product number of your computer? (Ensure you don't share any personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc..). 

Please follow the below steps: 

Step 1: Enabling the Keyboard in Windows 

Skip this step if the computer does not enter sleep mode or if the computer wakes unexpectedly. 

Follow these steps to enable your keyboard to wake your computer from sleep mode: 

1. In Windows, search for and open the Device Manager. 

2. Click the arrow next to Keyboards and double-click the name of your keyboard. 

3. If the Power Management tab is available, proceed to the next step. 

If the Power Management tab is not available, click the Change Settings button if it appears below the Device status box. The same Keyboard Properties window opens with the Power Management tab available. 

If you are prompted for an Administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation. 

1. Click the Power Management tab and make sure that the box next to Allow this device to wake the computer is checked. 

2. Click OK, and then test to make sure that the keyboard can now wake the computer. If the computer still cannot wake from sleep mode, continue using these steps. 

3. For instructions on how to update the BIOS of your computer, see one of the following HP support documents: Updating the BIOS (Notebooks) 

For more steps, please Click here 

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
7 4 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi. I've tried all these things, and more. The only way to to get the computer back on, is to press the power button. Opening the laptop, pressing the keyboard, or moving the mouse will not wake it. Product number is 9GB30Ua#ABA

0 Kudos
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
10,453 10,454 445 698
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@BrandyKennedy

I understand your concerns. 

In that case, I would suggets you conatct our phone support and check for the support option. They will help you.

Here is how you can get in touch with phone support.

1)Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

We are experiencing longer than expected wait times to reach an agent due to the CoViD-19 impact and there might have been issues in you getting the expected resolution on the issue. 

Have a nice day!!

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation