Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So over the past week or two I've had this irritating issue with my laptop, and I'm absolutely stumped as to how to fix it.

So long story short, one day I'm playing a simple game of Minecraft without any issues. The next day I go to set everything up because we had moved houses, after running Minecraft for about 2 minutes the entire laptop just stopped and didn't really shutdown but moreso froze, then the screen went dark, and it left me with no other option than to manually shut it down. This has neve happened to me before, and I've been looking into it nonstop with no solution. All I know is that running games off my integrated rather than the Nvidia MX-150 in my system, works perfectly fine except for, of course, slower performance.

And it's not only with minecraft, but with any game I run off my GPU that it does this. I've tried running temp logs to see if it's just overheating, which it's not. I've tried seeing if it's a power issue, as the laptop now will only charge to 0%, but run perfectly fine so long as it's not using the GPU, and it's not that. As it's ran fine for months off the AC adapter because I can't afford another battery. I've tried wiping the entire laptop to see if it was a driver issue, still nothing. I've even tried taking apart the machine and cleaning the dust out myself, and still no solution. I'm stumped as to what to do, and as to why it'd do this so suddenly overnight.

Any solution is more than welcome, as this cost my family a lot of money and I would hate to see their money gone to waste

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@GHDaddy Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that you are facing issues with GPU.

Do not worry I will try to fix the issue.

Have you tried with different games and checked?

Here's how you do it: 

• Go to Start Menu > click on Settings. 

• Type performance > choose to Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows.  

• In the new window, go to the Visual Effects and select Adjust for best performance. 

• Click Apply and ok...this should do the trick. 

If the issue persists, The best way to resolve the issue is to follow the suggestions of the HP Guided Troubleshooter:  

Click here to access it (simply select your description of the issue from the bottom of the screen to gain access to the next set of steps that should resolve your concern). 

CLICK HERE FOR MORE STEPS AND INSTRUCTIONS. 
(by the end of this document, all the issues should be resolved) 

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Hey @Praveen196! Thanks for replying!

So I did everything you told me up to the end and the issue is still here. To answer your question, yes I have tried other games and programs and it's still happening. I ran a quick diagnostics test on my hardware through the HP software you linked, and the only negative that came up was my battery.

So my theory is that, even with the AC adapter plugged in, the battery isn't getting enough power to supply to the GPU and everything else, so it just fails. Because as I said, it read out as the battery reading 0%. And the moment it's unplugged it shuts down instantly, as if it's the only way it's getting any form of power. At this point I'm not sure what you advise we do up to here. I was thinking about replacing the battery, since that seems like our root issue here. However, if you have a greater idea I'd love to hear it! Like I said, I'm open to nearly any solutions that may work lol 😁

HP Recommended

@GHDaddy

Thank you for the update.

In that case, perform the battery test and check.

1. Power off the PC and make sure that it is completely powered off.

2. Press the power button and the moment you press the power button immediately start tapping F2 key, you should see the system diagnostics screen.

3. Look for the component test, under that all the hardware will be listed, please choose Battery and initiate the quick test.

Note: If it fails it will generate a 24 digits alphanumeric failure id, please capture that.

Also, perform the system test.

Please perform the below steps on the computer to run a System Test

- Shut down/Turn off the computer

- Once the computer is completely Shut down/Turned off

- Now press the power button once to turn on the computer and immediately start pressing/tapping the F2 key on the keyboard

- This should open the UEFI Diagnostic screen on the computer

- Please select System Test and then select Quick Test

Please let us know the test result.

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

Hey @Praveen196,

So I booted into the UEFI diagnostics test, and got these results. Still reads out the battery is the issue here and needs to be replaced. I've attached a quick couple screenshots I took with my phone in case there was any other information that would be of help, thank you!

1.jpeg

This is the battery test you suggested

2.jpeg

This is the quick test, as you could probably tell lol

HP Recommended

@GHDaddy

Thank you for the screenshot.

According to the failure code, The issue with the battery.

I would request you to contact our phone support. They will help you.

Here is how you can get in touch with phone support.

1)Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

@Praveen196,

Thank you, I'll be sure to try and contact them. I had difficulty before because of a warranty issue, but I'll report back if I have any issues. Thank you!

HP Recommended

@GHDaddy

You are most welcome.

In the future, if you have any concerns. Please get back to us. We will assist you.

Have a nice day!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.