Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Spectre 13-ae000 x360 Convertible PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all, I have bought this laptop from about 3 weeks and I'm falled in love with it. My version is the HP Spectre x360 with intel i5-8250u, 8GB Ram, 256 GB SSD (model 13-ae000).
I bought this laptop because it comes with the pen, it has a good build quality and a good performance.
The main reason that I need the pen is because I use it to get notes at university but I think that there is some issue (probably need some software improvement) with the digitizer. The pen is the new HP Tilt Pen (Rechargable) and the problems that I found are these:

1) Sometimes, appear random lines that starts 2-3 millimeters distant from where I started writing
2) There is a quite delay between my movements and the lines on the screen (not very important for me)
3) The pen need a quite pressure to initiate to write on the screen

I compare the writing with the my surface pro 4 always using the HP Tilt Pen and the problems seem to doesn't exits.
I think that HP should improve the digitizer driver to solve that problems, the first one is very annoying (Or Elan have to do that?).

Anybody has the same problems?

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi @diegocom,

Welcome to HP Forums!

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips, 

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂

I understand your facing issue with the touchscreen.

Don't worry I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

You could purchase the part from HP, use the HP Parts surfer to identify the part: Click here & order it via the HP Parts store (Click here) or alternatively.

To contact HP for setting up an order/service via phone support follow the below steps.

Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

Keep me posted on any other assistance.

Hope that helps! Let me know 🙂

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. 

To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Sorry but I think that I not understand why I have to buy some parts. The touchscreen works correctly, there is only a few of issue with the software/driver of digitizer, I think

HP Recommended

@diegocom

It looks like you were interacting with @Raj1788, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out, 

I'm the Riddle_Decipher & I'm at your service. 

I reviewed your concern and the entire conversation, did some research and here's what you need to know:

Don't worry I have all the clarification you need, starting with the need of purchasing parts, well...NO, you don't have to purchase any parts if the device is under warranty.

That said, the reason the touchscreen isn't responding as it should, could be due to a hardware malfunction is what the tech implied,

However, before we jump into conclusions, I recommend we confirm if the pen is compatible with your device: Click here to verify using the list of devices.

If the pen is compatible and yet it doesn't work, Click here to troubleshoot.

If you've done the relevant troubleshooting and yet it doesn't work, please Contact HP to have the device either repaired or replaced under warranty (it would be free of charges).

If you would like to thank me for my efforts to help you, 

feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" button.

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the support. The pen comes in the box with the notebook so the compatibility is guarantee.
In my opinion, the problem is a lack of software optimization because the HP Tilt Pen is quite new and is the first time that HP usa a Elan technology instead of more famous wacom/synaptics. 
In fact the pen works correctly for the major of time but sometimes is inaccurate as I have described above.
However now I'm trying to collect opinion from other user of that model of notebook to check if the problem is on my unit or all have this issues.

HP Recommended

@diegocom

Thank you for responding,

It's great to have you back 😉

I appreciate you providing the relevant details to understand the issue in its entirety,

Now that I've fully grasped the issue and the trouble you've been going through so far, I recommend you Contact HP to have your device/issue take care off.

HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:  

* Open link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/

* Enter Product number or select to auto detect

* Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

* Scroll down and click on HP contact options - click on Get a Case & phone number.

They will be happy to assist you immediately. 

If the unit is under warranty repair services under the manufacturer's warranty will be free of charge.

If you would like to thank me for my efforts to help you, 

feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution".

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

In these days I have contacted other people that have my same notebook (HP Spectre x360-ae000) and I discovered that all have the same "problems".
So, if you can, in my opinion you should explain these problems to hp directely to improve the pen's driver and improve the user experience with the pen. Can you do this?
Anyway, in the nexts days I will contact HP in my country to explain the problems also to they. (In my opinion the substitution is useless because all of unit of this pc has the same issues).
If you or HP want, I can give you photo/videos about the problem (Or do some tests).

Another question, exists an HP app where can I modify the pen parameters (buttons functions,sensitivity, ecc ecc)? I have seen that exists the HP Pen Control app but It's compatible only with the oldest pen (the model without tilt function and not rechargeable) and not with the new HP Tilt Pen

HP Recommended

After a lot of test, I contacted the HP support and they send me a new HP Tilt Pen (black) but it has the same problem of the previous! The main problem now is the pressure sensitivity, because when I apply a low pressure the Spectre write a dotted line and not a thin continuous line.
I have tried the two HP Tilt Pen on a Surface Pro 4 and over it there isn't any problem as you can see in the follow videos:

HP Tilt Pen Spectre x360 vs Surface Pro 4

Spectre x360 Pressure problem

Now I'll try to buy the Wacom Bamboo Ink pen to check if the problem is the digitizer or the driver of HP Tilt Pen on the Spectre. If anybody that's have the same problems of mine wants write here, is welcome!

HP Recommended

I diegocom.

I have the same problem  of you (pressure sensivity). I'm thinking of buying the wacom bamboo pen, but I wanted to have a feedback to know if this pen worth the extra money.

HP Recommended

Unfortunately you won't solve with the bamboo ink pen. It's more sensitive, but the problem still here also with it. So, the only thing that you can do is send the pc to the support for an hardware replacement. But have a good luck.
I had to send the pc two time because the first time the support said to me that there isn't any problem. The second time (I was very angry) the support changed motherboard and touchscreen and the pressure's problem is gone, but in a small area of the screen the pen didn't write.
After discover that, I have sent a letter to HP in my country threatening them and they send me a new unit without any problem with the screen but after 20 days the right speaker stopped working... HP is ridicolous.. Quality control is ridicolous, if you can, return the product and change company. The spectre is a good product, but has a lot of quality problems.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.