Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
15t ch000 CTO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Are we really expected to be 1 1/2 years behind on the Intel / AMD graphics cards updates from what both AMD and Intel have on their websites?!?!  When is HP going to support the Spectre x360 Line as the premier laptop line they claim and are selling it as?!?!?

My graphics card is definitely underperforming in AutoCAD and Revit and I am sure it is the age of the update vs the versions of my software that keep updating.  

MY Current RADEON Version:  Driver Packaging Version 17.40.1034.1005-180131a-324130C

Current RADEON Version from AMD: 19.6.2

Current Intel Version from Intel: 26.20.100.6890

I would be VERY HARD PRESSED TO RECOMMEND HP at this time- especially this Spectre Line based on my multiple experiences with such. 

Ralph

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

This is frankly outrageous.

The Spectre x360 is a premium machine, with a premium price. 2000k is not your "normal" laptop.

I would expect strong support to be provided - but when it comes to drivers this is ridiculous. The VegaM drivers CANNOT be updated via the Radeon RX app because each time it says the drivers (new) are incompatible with the machine. I actually managed, at one point, to force the installation of new drivers - only to get the computer to an almost unusable state. Obviously I had to fall back on the HP provided drivers.

Not to mention that the HP assistant is "missing" on updates, so much so that the "unofficial" advice is to go to the HP site and download and install drivers MANUALLY! Are you serious? What, am I expected to keep this thing up to date by checking (and of course, manually checking because there's no other way... maybe keep something in an XLS with the latest version installed) and downloading and installing each quarter or whatever? I no longer have the time to do that, and I expected not to when putting up the cash for it.

The obvious, painful, disgraceful, in-your-face problem is that HP hasn't released an update for those drivers. So I am stuck with a 2000k machine, premium, running some 2018Q1 drivers for which there have been numerous updates.

This is the last time I am buying anything form HP. And I'm going to make sure I let everyone I ever meet know about how you guys treat customers. Granted, the computer is a beast, but to see this lack of interest, for the premium segment, is disgusting. I don't even want to think how you guys handle the mid or lower tier products.

HP Recommended

You clearly feel my pain and frustration...

HP Recommended

I actually made it. There's another thread with a proposed solution that, unfortunately, didn't work for me.

DISCLAIMER@HP (rant): You guys should be ashamed. I'm using "ashamed" as an euphemism for "incompetent, arrogant, shameless". All that while your paycheck is ultimately funded by our willingness to guy your products. Oh, and your "Assistant"? It's useless. Utterly useless. If I hadn't check the forums I would have never knew about the F31 BIOS update - a crucial component in updating those **bleep** driver.

And if you're asking "why is this guy bothered by a driver update" it's because the idiot (that would be me) payed a lot on a laptop's whose selling point was precisely the VegaM chip. The exact thing you guys failed, for over one year, and you're still failing (because hey, isn't it cheaper for the community to bang their heads against a wall and come up with a solution).

/rant

So, it takes some tinkering around but in the end you will have the latest drivers for both chips (Intel HD 630 and Radeon VegaM) as well as the associated software. I actually got to test and the improvement is huge. I mean it. which makes me even angrier.

The laptop performs much, much better while being way, way cooler than before the driver update. Beside PC Mark, I "real" tested it by playing Elite Dangerous for 3 hours straight, better graphics settings than when using the "outdated" drivers, same settings as when, once, I forcefully "managed" to install some new drivers but my computer would get the "new and improved smiley face - as if that makes it better" BSOD every 15 minutes or so.

The result is excellent overall. No crashes, better performance (higher FPS, no stuttering) while using higher graphics settings, less heat. And if you're wondering, the settings are as follows: 1440x900, no antialiasing, medium shadows, low galaxy map quality. Everything else set to max (high or ultra when available). I tried 1920x1200 but had to lower some more settings (bloom, shadow quality, FX quality). Even so, it still worked well (over 30 FPS).

1 - Update Windows (10) to the latest version. Just let it download and install all updates it can find.

2 - Update to F31 BIOS. Your "HP Assistant" will probably miss this (as mine did) but go to the HP Support site and download it and install it.

- Uninstall ALL AMD + Intel graphics software and graphics drivers.

4 - Restart computer, log in.

- Your resolution should be now HD only. Don't do anything yet. Patience. Your Windows (yes... I know, unbelievable, but MS actually got this right. Sort of.) WILL install some drivers (which turn out to still be some outdated "stock" drivers). You will, at some point, see that this is finished when the resolution will automatically change back to 4k.

6 - Go to Device Manager. You can search (just type "device manager" in your start menu) for it if you're not familiar with it. Navigate to the Graphics items - there should be two. Intel HD 630 and Radeon VegaM or something similar.

- Right click on the Intel HD 630 and update the driver. Wait for it... and voila. You have the latest "bestest" Intel HD 630 driver. Restart if prompted.

- Repeat step (6) 7 for the Radeon VegaM chip. This should also install the AMD software on your computer. Restart if prompted.

9 - Go to Microsoft Store and search for the Command Center. Install it.

(10 - Check if everything is OK) - Open command center and go to system. Look at the driver info, it should display two values. If you don't see anything displayed then something went horribly wrong and your computer will explode in 5... 4... Joke. I personally did the same exact things but maybe I missed some variable so good luck (really) finding what's wrong. The only advice I can give you at this time is to again uninstall everything (software + driers) and just fall back on the "outdated" HP provided drivers.

11 - Provided step 10 was a success - enjoy!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.