Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, recommend you to open task manager and check if there is any process/application that is not responding or consuming a lot of resources (CPU/Memory). If you see any such application, end the process or application and check.

Also, please go through the startup items and disable any application that you no longer use or want on startup.

Boot the computer to BIOS and check if the screen flickers in BIOS. If the screen flickers in BIOS which is independent of the operating system or any application, the issue is a hardware issue (usually the display cable) Contact our phone support for the service options if the issue persists in BIOS. 

Also, refer to this Microsoft post for assistance. 

Keep me posted. 

Please click ‘Accepted Solution’ on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the ‘Thumbs Up’ Icon below.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Yeah, already did all of those things except for the BIOS test, which I doubt would act up because hardware acceleration is not in effect.  I suspect what is going to happen is that somewhere down the line there will be either a driver update, a WIndows OS update or an application update that will fix the problem, assuming it is not hardware related.

HP Recommended

@pjc123, Thanks for the response.

Thanks for trying out the steps.

As you mentioned in your post that the issue still persists after troubleshooting.

Please try performing a system restore and check if it helps.

Refer this document to know how to perform a system restore.

If the issue still persists after the troubleshooting try performing a complete system recovery and check if it helps.

Refer this document to know how to perform a system recovery on PC.

I'll watch your reply!

Have a good day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

After supporting Windows computers for 20 years, my experience with system restore has not been good, in most cases resulting in either more problems, or an operating system so scrogged that it needs to be restored from an image backup (several of which I do keep).  Since others are having this same exact flickering problem, I will just wait until either a software fix arrives or someone has a definitive set of steps to alleviate the problem.

HP Recommended

@pjc123, Thanks for the response.

Thanks for trying out the steps.

Please try the steps mentioned below.

Delete your cache and cookies
Try using Chrome in incognito mode. If that solved your issue, try to temporarily disable your extensions manually to identify which one is causing the issue. To do this: 
Click the Chrome menu icon Chrome menu on the browser toolbar.
Select Tools > Extensions.
Uncheck Enabled for each extension one by one to check if the issue still occurs
Reset your browser settings: Chrome menu Chrome menu > Settings > Show advanced settings > Under the section "Reset settings,” click Reset settings.
Try uninstalling Chrome completely and then reinstalling.

Hope this helps!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The problem exists in all four browsers with hardware acceleration enabled.  If I dsable hardware acceleration the problem goes away. Some of the other browsers have no plugins or extensions, so that is not the issue.

HP Recommended

I added a video to my original post that shows the display flicker problem, in the event that others have the same issue and have come up with a solution.  It shows the desktop, task manager and browser flickering.

HP Recommended

@pjc123

You've done a remarkable job performing the steps suggested earlier, great work 🙂 

I understand you've spent quite a lot of time on this issue in my absence via other tech suggestions,

I just wanted to let you know that though you've had a bad experience with OS reinstallation/restore before,

It doesn't mean you would have a bad one now as well, I'm sure one you've reinstalled the OS everything should be back to normal.
Considering we've pretty-much-done everything else that could have possibly fixed the issue.

Here's the document to know how to perform a system recovery on PC.

Let me know how that pans out, 

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I am still having this issue. Any other ideas? Anyone else with the same problem? I would like to at least narrow it down to a hardware or software problem because my Square Trade extended warranty expires in December and I would like to prove it is hardware related so I can get a replacement. Is there a good test to run that is targeted to this issue, maybe a GPU test since this only happens when hardware acceleration is enabled  (All browsers), or testing of an associated component(s)? It would probably have to stress things since this is an intermittent issue and occurs after running for a while (possibly a component overheating?).

HP Recommended

@pjc123

Thank you for responding,

That was quite a long time since you've replied last,

so welcome back!

That said, I recommend you Contact HP to have your device ether repaired or replaced as you've already reinstalled the windows from the HP recovery manager, if you haven't reinstalled the OS using the recovery media: Click here to obtain one.

If the issue persists, Contact HP for the repair procedure:

HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get the phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

They will be happy to assist you immediately. 

If the unit is under warranty repair services under the manufacturer's warranty will be free of charge.

If I have answered your queries, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" button for my efforts to help you.

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.