Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Stream - 14-ax087no
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, my HP Stream 14 N3060/4GB/64GB can no longer stream Widevine protected content. Video is jerky, sound cuts out.

It began a few months ago, I figured I wouldn't ask for help until I had time to test things out. I have (good) main rig as well.

In Chrome task manager the Widewine component jumps to 120-150% CPU and that's also when the stream breaks up, followed by Widevine reducing usage and again lets the stream play, only to again overload the CPU and it cuts the stream.

This issue is on all DRM Widevine content. Netflix, HBOnordic, test sites on the web. Youtube is perfectly fine (does not use DRM)

UPDATE: MS Edge with its PlayReady DRM is working fine! So that was interesting. I'm a bit happier now but would really like Widevine to work as well.

What I've done includes complete upgrades, and clean install and even a Linux test.

Upgraded drivers, apps, Update to W10 20H2, updated BIOS to latest. Gfx driver .5070

Total wipe with Win10 2004 from cloud. Tried (obviously) new installations of Chrome and Firefox.

Tried reddit suggestions on downgrading Widevine dlls, June 2019 4.10.1440.19 or ancient 1.4.9.1088 made no difference.

Maxed all performance settings.

Tried a Linux Live USB. Same problem.

So I am now speculating this is not a WIndows issue but Widevine component combined with some driver, bios issue but I am lost now. This laptop is almost useless for me now 😞 What am I going to do, can HP help?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

In case anyone has a similar problem this is my work-around for now.

HBONordic: MS Edge (legacy version)

Netflix: Only MS Store APP work ok.

Spotify: Webplayer on FireFox (does not work with MS edge and Store app is unusable with high CPU load)

IMO there's just something wrong with the HP firmware / HP provided intel drivers. The laptop feel slower than hardware should be able to do, especially web browsing. I think Hardware acceleration and eMMC driver underperform.

HP Recommended

No support here and no support on Twitter. Not even a lie that they will look at it. Only silence.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.