Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Thunderbolt Dock 120W G2 w/Audio
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello Community,

I am unable to achieve Dual 4K Resolution on two external HP V28 4K Monitors connected to a HP Thunderbolt Dock 120w G2 w/Audio via DisplayPort cables, with the Dock connected to a HP Spectre x360 via thunderbolt cable.

I was able to achieve 4K, 3840x2160, resolution on the internal display and one external monitor, but the second monitor had a lesser resolution.

Presently, the installed Intel UHD Graphics device driver is version 26.20.100.7927 dated 25-Feb-20.

The Intel Driver Support Assistant offered Intel UHD Graphics device driver version 30.0.100.9955 dated 13-Oct-21. I installed it from the Intel website, but was only able to achieve 4K resolution on the internal display and much lesser resolutions on the external displays. Apparently, HP Support has customized their Intel UHD Graphics device driver, and in such cases, Intel recommends staying with the older HP Support customized device driver. Windows Update rolled back the installation.

However, I can achieve 4K, 3840x2160, resolution on the laptop and external monitor with only one external monitor connected.

https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/pdp/hp-thunderbolt-dock-120w-g2?pStoreID=epp

The link above advertises "See every color and detail of your projects with a superfast connection to dual external 4K displays as soon as you plug your notebook into the dock."

The images below indicate the HP Thunderbolt Dock is a recommended accessory for the HP Spectre x360 15-df1033dx.

Has anyone been successful achieving dual 4K resolution with a HP Spectre laptop, and the HP Thunderbolt Dock?

I'm not sure if this is a hardware problem, software configuration problem, or a need for HP Support to update device drivers and software. It's not unusual for HP Support to be delinquent with device driver updates.

HP Support hasn't been very helpful resolving this issue. The Dock is a recommended accessory for the HP laptop.

I'm looking for a fix. Regards

HP Ad.jpg

HP Spectre.jpg

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

I have a similar issue, but I'm only trying to get two 1440p monitors to work. I've understood that it should work when one monitor is connected with a DP cable and one should be in Thunderbolt. Ok, but with what cable/to what connector in the monitor?

Edit: Thunderbolt to HDMI didn't work, I had a cable to try that. Also, are there any minimum requirements for the connector types in the monitor? I.e. DP1.3 (these monitors only have DP1.2)?

HP Recommended

I've just spent half a day chatting with HP Support. The difficulty I'm having with HP Support is that my Dock, and my Laptop are supported by two different HP Support divisions. The Dock is supported by HP Commercial Support and the Latop is supported by HP Consumer Support.

HP Commercial Support for the dock says the dock should achieve dual 4K displays with the monitors connected to the dock via DP cables. The HP TB Dock 120W G2 has two DP ports. They also say it should work with the HP Spectre connected to the dock via the dock's thunderbolt cable.

HP dock support indicated that it could be a device driver that needs to be updated by HP Support.

I'm still trying to get a straight answer from HP Consumer Support, but they are not very competent. All the support seems to come from India. The HP Consumer Support always disconnects when they can't answer the questions. I think that's what the techs do, because their chat performance is being monitored.

I get the following resolutions with dual displays connected to the HP TB Dock via DP cables.

1. HP Spectre internal display: 3840x2160

2. HP V28 4K Monitor: 3840x2160 (External Display 1)

3. HP V28 4K Monitor: 1920x1200 (External Display 2)

Initially I got 2560x1600 on the second external display, but that resolution was no longer available after clicking on Advanced Display Settings.

I get the following resolutions with dual displays connected to the HP TB Dock via DP cables, but the External Display 2 connected to the Dock's USB-C/DP port with DP to USB-C adapter

3. HP V28 4K Monitor: 1920x1200 (External Display 2)

I get the following resolutions with External Display 1 connected to the HP TB Dock via DP cable, and External Display 2 connected directly to laptop USB-C port.

3. Not recognized.

I get the following resolutions with External Display 1 connected to the HP TB Dock via DP cable, and External Display 2 connected directly to laptop HDMI port via HDMI cable.

3. HP V28 4K Monitor: 3840x2160 (External Display 2)

HP Recommended

This problem has been escalated by HP Support. The HP AMS CEM Escalations Team will attempt a software fix. This will take some time.

Apparently, contrary to the HP Sales information posted above, the HP TB Dock 120W G2 is not fully functional with my HP Spectre x360 15-df1033dx. It doesn't appear to be a hardware limitation, but a software device driver limitation.

HP Recommended

Thanks for updating. Hopefully this will be resolved (although I may have some other issue as the laptop is different). 

HP Recommended

HP Thunderbolt Dock G2 with HDMI Adapter, Master of the Docking Universe

The 2019 YouTube video above is from the HP YouTube Channel. The notebook depicted is identical in appearance to my 2019 HP Spectre x360. I connected my two HP V28 4K Monitors exactly as depicted using a DP cable on external monitor 1, and a HDMI cable with HDMI 2.0 to USB-C  Adapter to external monitor 2.

I had 3840x2160 resolution on the Spectre's internal display and external monitor 1, but only 1920x1200 on external monitor 2.

Apparently, for this setup, you must use the Dock's DP adjacent to the USB-C/DP port. If you use the other DP port on the Dock, the system won't recongnize the exteranl monitors, and the internal display flashes.

In the video HP claims dual 4K displays, and universal compatibility. I don't see anything that would raise a red flag on dual 4K displays.

HP Recommended

@Garbox What notebook do you have?

The HP Thunderbolt 120W G2 is advertised as a "universal dock."

The HP V28 4K Monitors have two HDMI ports and one DP port. The DP port can be configured as DisplayPort 1.1 or DisplayPort 1.2.

I contacted HP Sales for monitor recommendations that would get Dual 4K Display with the HP Spectre x360 15-df1033dx, and the HP Thunderbolt Dock 120W G2 w/Audio. HP Sales recommended the HP V28 4K Monitor. So, I bought two on the HP Sales recommendation thinking I would avoid compatibility issues.

Since the HP V28 4K Monitor only has DisplayPort 1.2, and was recommended by HP Sales for Dual 4K Display with the HP TB Dock, I don't see where you need DisplayPort 1.3.

HP Recommended

It's a ProBook 440 G8. It doesn't have thuderbolt port which is what I started to think might be the issue after reading multuple similar threads here. The info I received from HP distributor here was that I would have to connect one display to DP port and other to Thunderbolt port on the dock. What they didn't know was that what port in display should I connect the TB one into.

But as said after reading the threads here I've come to understand that I would need a TB port on my laptop too as the bandwidth in usb-c displayport  isn't big enough for two 1440p displays (yes, I'm not even trying to get 4K). Thus I'm only getting one 2560x1440 and one 1280x720 (and FHD on laptop's own display) 

HP Recommended

What's your ProBook's product number? The HP Sales Central overview and specifications document for the HP Thunderbolt Dock 120W G2, active as of 5/21/2018, specifically lists 11 different HP ProBook 440 G8 product numbers advertised as compatible with the dock.

HP Recommended

The dock is 2UK37AA. I have to dig the Probook's number. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.