Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Ok, I remembered wrong. It's a G7, 8VU03EA(#UUW). 

HP Recommended

You should contact HP Sales, by telephone, and have them email you the HP Sales Central accessories list for your model HP Probook 440 G7 notebook PC.

HP Recommended

I had actually tried this dock with my Spectre x360 and was never able to get it to work. After contacting HP several times and trying 3 other HP docks based on their suggestions, I ended up purchasing the Plugable TBT3-UDZ dock. Worked right out of the box.

HP Recommended

I found the tech sheet and it only works with DP+TB combination. Just don't have a TB display. Tried with a USB-C Dock G5 today and it has the same problem even though by specs it should be cabable of 2x2.5K 60hz. Updated the firmware, but to no avail.

Anyway, that's off topic as the dock has changed, but just wanted to leave an update for any future help seekers. 

HP Recommended

What's the HP product number for your pc? I would think that you should at least get dual 1080p display.

HP Recommended

I did get dual 1080p with the G2 dock, maybe could get it with G5 roo, but since the displays are 1440p and the spec sheet says it should work, I should get it. 

HP Recommended

Ok, I got the right instructions from HP Support via phone. Here's how to do it:

1. Boot into BIOS (tap ESC key, or F10 key when the HP logo appears after reboot)

2. When in BIOS Setup, go to Advanced tab

3. Check the "Enable high resolution when in USB-C DP alt mode" (or something like that)

NOTE: It will warn you that the 1Gb NIC will have a reduced performance when using this mode. Not sure, but I guess It'll work as 100Mb (couldn't test as we don't get over 100Mb with our bandwidth here behind our firewall).

4. After applying, click the back arrow on screen, then go to MAIN tab

5. Click Save and exit (or reboot, don't remember... basic BIOS stuff).

DISCLAIMER: This was tested with a ProBook G6/USB-C Dock G4 as well as Probook 440 G7/USB-C dock G5 and it was working per specs (G4 has lower dual display support, but dual 2K anyway). Will test with a G7/TB Dock G2 tomorrow, but without a TB display. Will report that too, but if someone would like to try before that, here's how.

I guess the reason why it'll reduce the NIC speed is that the bandwidth of a USB-C/DP alt mode connection isn't enough for all that traffic. The G2 dock should be able to handle that IF connected to a TB port in laptop (we don't have any, so can't verify). 

It would be nice if this was mentioned in the spec sheet, even if just with an asterisk and "*BIOS settings changed required when not using Thinderbolt connection" or something.

EDIT: I can confirm that this also works with a TB dock G2. 

HP Recommended

Gregoria1, check the instructions that I wrote above. The same BIOS change probably works for you too even if it's a different laptop. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.