Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Hp spectre x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

My touchpad is occasionally unresponsive and causes the cursor to have random, uncontrolled movements. My laptop is less than a month old. It uses windows 10.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@valerieswanston,

Thank you for posting your query on HP Community,

Let's try to run a test on the touchpad from F2: 

• Let us run the hardware test first.
  • Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

• Turn on the computer and immediately press the F2 key repeatedly, about once every second.

• The HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu is displayed.

HP PC Hardware Diagnostic UEFI screen

• Select Component tests.

List of the Component tests

• Please initiate a test on the Mouse/Touchpad - There are 2 mouse tests to determine if the mouse is functioning correctly - the Pointer Test and the Drag and Drop Test. Click Mouse/Touchpad, then select the test you want to run and follow the instructions.
    NOTE: If you have connected an external USB mouse then please disconnect it before initiating the test on the touchpad.

If the test on the touchpad passes then please refer to this HP Document to solve touchpad related issues. 

Let me know how it goes for further assistance.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I tried both tests and they both failed. 

HP Recommended

@valerieswanston,

This looks like a possible hardware failure. I would recommend you contact our HP support team for further assistance. 

I would personally suggest you contact our HP support team for further assistance. 

HP Support team can be reached on this link.

Let me know if you need any further assistance. 

Take care and have a great day!

Cheers 🙂

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.