Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 8440P
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I own an HP 8440p with the NVS3100 graphics card. I have tried all suggestions regarding getting the DisplayPort to pass audio through a DP-to-HDMI adapter with no success. I have even tried purchasing multiple adapters in the hopes of findingone that worked, even HP's own pricey adapter. 

Can I conclude that it is now settled that the HP 8440p with the discreet NVS3100 (not the integraed Intel Graphics) simply cannot be made to pass audio from the DisplayPort to to an HDMI adpter? If the answer is that it cannot then I will start shopping for a new laptop with a native HDMI and not the troublesome DisplayPort.

Thanx,

Redlyne

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hey Dude.

If you want this to work -=it is confirmed working in Windows 7 (x64) and Windows 10 (x64)=- and assuming you have the NVS3100m GPU, than all you need to do is to install the old NVIDIA driver 188.31, file name sp47020.exe and can be found once you go to HP/Support/Drivers under your machine and after selecting i.e. Windows 7 Professional 64 bit as your operating system. This driver works as well for Win 10 x64. It is probabbly not the fastest or best graphics driver, having been released in 2010 but at least audio over DP/HDMI works 🙂 Have fun!

If unclear contact me.

Best,

Lukas

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

My displayport adaptor to HDMI, when connected to my monitor, cuts the top, bottom and sides off by an inch or two, but the rest is okay. Is this the problem you are having? I've tried a few adaptors, all the same result.

HP Recommended

First, I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

The main issue I'm having is that out of the DisplayPort/HDMI adapter is that get get perfect video,  but, unfortunately, no sound. Nothing.

When connected to a TV I can see  the TV  listed  in the Nvidia Control panel in Device Manager, but when I select it still no sound.

And when connected to a TV through HDMI I never see the TV listed as a Playback Device to choose when I right-click and open the Sound options icon in the taskbar. In computers I've owned with a true HDMI port as soon as I connect a TV device to the HDMI port on the computer the TV appears as a Playback device in the Windows sound options box and I can select it.

I love everything else about the 8440p but this DisplayPort issue is a killer for me if I can't attach to HDMI devices while I travel

But many thanks again for the kindness of your reply.

Redlyne

HP Recommended

Hi:

I am skeptical that it can be done, but according to this post, it can.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Audio/Sound-through-DisplayPort-on-HP-EliteBook-8440p/m-p/9270...

HP Recommended

To mkzatg1 and the others here who have offered up their assistance, I am very grateful

This problem with the HP 8440p is a vexing one because there does not appear to be one common solution, with one solution working for some users while not for others. I have tried all of the solutions posted in the suggested thread

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=4095874&swItemId=ob_98086_2&swEnvOid=4060

and could not get any of them to work for me.

At first I thought it may have something to do with some 8440p's having an integrated Intel graphics card while others having the seperate Nvidia NVS3100. But posts can be found from owners of both versions who have both succeeded and failed in getting audio out of their DisplayPort into an HDMI adapter. I even thought it might have something to do with the HDMI adapters themselves, with some being active and some being passive. But I have tried both with no difference.

So, until some generous HP engineer can weigh-in with a definitive solution I believe this problem will remain a mystery. This is a real shame because even though the machine is now a few years old, many of us love the HP 8440p for its size, it's performance, its keyboard, and most importantly its unsurpassed build quality. In fact, in looking at what is for sale here in 2016 I can't find any laptop that matches the 8440p in these areas. Any suggestions?

In any case, I remain very appreciative for the assitance I have received.

Best Wishes,  Redlyne

HP Recommended

Hey Dude.

If you want this to work -=it is confirmed working in Windows 7 (x64) and Windows 10 (x64)=- and assuming you have the NVS3100m GPU, than all you need to do is to install the old NVIDIA driver 188.31, file name sp47020.exe and can be found once you go to HP/Support/Drivers under your machine and after selecting i.e. Windows 7 Professional 64 bit as your operating system. This driver works as well for Win 10 x64. It is probabbly not the fastest or best graphics driver, having been released in 2010 but at least audio over DP/HDMI works 🙂 Have fun!

If unclear contact me.

Best,

Lukas

HP Recommended

Dear Lukas,

WOW!  After struggling this this problem for months and spending countless frustrating hours, your solution worked like a dream! I am so grateful that you took the time to help me, and please know that I will forever be in your debt. Many thanks, my friend, your knowledge is very powerful and I know that others will find it every bit as helpful and I have.

Your friend,

Greg

HP Recommended

You're welcome Greg.

Best Regards,

Lukas

HP Recommended

Hi ,

I had the same problem and it was big headache  but now its fixed by your suggestion .Thank you for you and your great knowledge.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.