7 4 0 2
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Solved!

Higher resolution than 1366x768

HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 15-db1973cl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a HP Notebook - 15-db1973cl with an AMD Ryzen 7 and the Radeon vega graphics (I presume is the Vega 10 chip).     I need a higher resolution than the 1366x768.  Its funny how the card will support higher resolution when connected to an external monitor.  I need to know how I can maintain those resolutions without the external monitor. I can't find a way to contact HP.

I've tried to upgrade the drivers that AMD started sending out.   I did  install it but they didn't work well.  Finally AMD tech support said their drivers weren't made support my card to revert back to the HP drivers. 

I need help!!!

4 REPLIES 4
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
129,345 119,522 19,525 29,847
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

The resolution is limited by the display panel which is why it is maxed out at 1366x768.

See the specs below...  

Display
15.6" diagonal HD SVA BrightView micro-edge WLED-backlit touch screen (1366 x 768)

HP Notebook - 15-db1973cl Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

Short of spending hundreds of dollars in parts and labor to upgrade to a FHD screen, there isn't anything you can do to increase the resolution.

0 Kudos
Denny061
Author
Level 1
7 4 0 2
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks Paul for the info. HP didn't tout the resolution of this laptop and shame on me for not digging into the screen specs. I was interested in the speed and ram never thinking a 15" screen would be limited to such a low resolution. 

I guess I'll just keep using an external monitor when I can!

0 Kudos
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
129,345 119,522 19,525 29,847
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I agree.  I am not happy with that resolution size on a 15.6" screen.

I didn't look up the display resolution when I bought a HP 350 G1 notebook a few years ago.

It had great specs for the price, and I paid no attention to the screen resolution, which was also 1366 x 768.

I won't make that mistake twice.

Denny061
Author
Level 1
7 4 0 2
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

Just an update. I went back to the AMD site and allowed it to analyze my card video and install their recommended driver and looks good,  a lot better than the drivers I installed last fall.  It may be wrong to do run the higher resolution but as long as I have no problems I'll keep running them.

Denny

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation