Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Laptop 17-by1xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I would like my touchpad to be disabled whenever my mouse is plugged in. My last laptop had an option for this and it was quite useful as my palms often bump the touchpad when I'm typing which can be quite frustrating. Please help.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Travis_G

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  
I did some research on this case found that by tapping the upper right corner of the touchpad twice should disable the touchpad. Below image is an example:

Figure: TouchPad On/Off Switch

TouchPad On/Off Switch

However, if you would like to disable the touchpad from the Windows then please follow the below steps:

1. In the Windows search box, type TouchPad.

From the results list click TouchPad settings.

2. Click Additional settings.

Figure: Clicking Additional settings

Clicking Additional settings on the Touchpad window

3. To disable the Touchpad when using a USB mouse, check Disable external pointing device when the external USB pointing device is attached.

Figure : Disabling the Touchpad

Disabling the Touchpad when a USB mouse is in use

4. To determine if the icon for the Touchpad is displayed in the taskbar, and if it is, how it appears, make the appropriate selection under Tray Icon.

Figure: Tray Icon settings

Tray Icon settings

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.