Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Spectre
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am a student and am frequently switching from laptop to tablet mode in Microsoft Word to draw something or add to my notes with my pen.

However, my touch keyboard frequently pops up after I start drawing and it messes up my placement on my document and is very annoying. I cant find any setting to allow the keyboard to only come up when clicked, please help!

Thank you in advance

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi! @rachelb1555, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand you have keyboard issues with your laptop.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your laptop?

Please provide the product number of your PC to assist you better.

As you mentioned you would like to know how to disable the touch keyboard in tablet mode.

Try the steps recommended below.

Click windows button on your PC.

Select Settings.

Go to Settings

Go to Devices > Typing

Scroll down and toggle off: Automatically show the touch keyboard in windowed apps when there's no keyboard attached to your device.

Here disable the keyboard and check if the issue persists.

If the issue still persists try the steps recommended below.

In Device Manager, uninstall and reinstall the keyboard software:
In Windows, search for and open Device Manager.
Click View and select Show Hidden Devices.
Click the arrow next to Keyboards, right-click the keyboard device name, then select Uninstall to remove the device from Windows.
Continue removing device names in the Keyboards category until all device names have been uninstalled.
Restart the notebook. Right-click Start (), select Shut down or sign out, then select Restart.
Wait for the computer to restart and open Windows.

Refer this article to further troubleshoot keyboard issues with your laptop.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Have a great weekend ahead! 🙂

Please click "Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the "Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say "Thanks" for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Mr. Robot's reply is useless garbage huh? Why do companies like HP think a robotic answer is better than nothing?

I am not sure about a solution, but I hope this helps...

I started up Word on my Spectre 15-bl012DX and full screened it, then flipped the display and started swiping with my finger on the screen, but the keyboard didn't pop up. I presume that it's because I have the on-screen keyboard turned off by default. If I want it, I tap the little icon in the system tray (by the clock) and it pops up, but doesn't ever pop up by itself.

To set it this way, hit the windows key and type "On Screen Keyboard". Go to the on screen keyboard settings and turn off the "Turns on the On-Screen Keyboard" switch.

2017-09-06_13-37-50.png

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.