Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an intel HD graphics 520 and an nvdia geforce 940 GPUs on my pavillion laptop W10, with an i7 6500U @2.5ghz main processor.  The intel GPU seems to do all the work when I check it on the performance monitor.  Should I be using the nvdia or should i use them both?  Whatever the answer to that is, please explain how i make changes in my computer to accomplish it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Paul Tikkanen,

Thank you for responding to my question. 

When I follow the youtube directions, I never get a menu choice for nvdia, only intel shows up.  I tried for a good amount of time and couldn't find the place to select letting my computer figure out how to o[ptimize usage of the two GPUs.   I tried restarting the computer, reloading the nvdia experience software and restarting and coming at the gpu settings from several different paths, but could never find the let the cpu optimize usage of gpus.

John

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

The default setting is for the notebook to automatically select the graphics adapter based on the load.

You can change the settings in the nVidia control panel to always use the nVidia graphics adapter, or select which programs use it.

Watch this video for the typical settings to change...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7DrQmDXHuY

HP Recommended

Paul Tikkanen,

Thank you for responding to my question. 

When I follow the youtube directions, I never get a menu choice for nvdia, only intel shows up.  I tried for a good amount of time and couldn't find the place to select letting my computer figure out how to o[ptimize usage of the two GPUs.   I tried restarting the computer, reloading the nvdia experience software and restarting and coming at the gpu settings from several different paths, but could never find the let the cpu optimize usage of gpus.

John

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, John.

If that video was not able to resolve the problem for you, unfortunately I don't have any other suggestions for you to try.

HP Recommended

Paul,

Not sure what happened, but when I opened the GE Force Experience app up again it was now recomending another download of an updated driver.  Downloading that solved the problem.  

Thanks again - John

HP Recommended

Anytime, John.

That is great news you were able to get the program to work as expected.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.