Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 - 15-df0008no
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

In this Corona time I would like to live stream events via my laptop with an external camera and external microphone. How do I connect an external  video camera? Do I need an external capture card type HDMI-in?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello @KeFLund,

Are you referring to external webcams to film yourself for the purpose of streaming? Since the webcam on the HP Spectre x360 - 15-df0008no is probably subpar for the purpose of streaming, yes, you can get an external webcam and these just connect through a USB port.

Here's a list of the most recommended webcams for streaming with a review provided for each one. The site also lists links to their recommended capture cards and microphones. The most common interface for these devices seems to be USB although HDMI capture cards exist as well.

Hope that helps.

Please Accept as Solution if this answered your question.

I used to be an HP Expert. I no longer participate in this community.
HP Recommended

Thanks, 

I have a Sony HDR-CX730 video camera I tried to connect directly via hdmi but without succes. The laptop did not find the camera. I believe I then need a capture card? 

HP Recommended

I believe the HDMI port is for when you want to watch footage recorded on an external monitor or TV.

If you want to use your Sony camcorder as a webcam for streaming, Sony apparently has something called "USB streaming" more information here. I can't find the HDR-CX730 on Sony's website, only the HDR-CX730E, so I can't personally confirm if your webcam supports USB streaming but you can start here and dig around to see if your webcam has this feature.

Hope that helps somewhat.

I used to be an HP Expert. I no longer participate in this community.
HP Recommended

Many thanks Eddy,

actually my camcorder is 730E, I just forgotten the "E" in my text. So I will try to find that driver from the support site.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.