Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 15 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

On 11/16/2015 Microsoft automatically installed "upgrade 1511" on my Windows 10 laptop.

(This laptop was previously successfully upgraded from Window 8.1 to Windows 10 in August.)

After the 1511 upgrade, I began receving the following error while playing Microsoft games:

"Display driver stopped responding and has recovered - Display driver Intel HD Graphics driver for Windows 8(R) stopped responding and has recovered."

According to Device Manager, the upgrade installed driver 10.18.15.4256 dated 7/15/2015.  I did a rollback to 10.18.15.4248 dated 6/29/2015.  This did not resolve the problem.

I checked HP Support Assistant, and applied sp72370 labeled 10.18.15.4248 Rev C dated 8/5/2015.  This did not resolve the problem.

I engaged HP Smart Friend service, and they reapplied 10.18.15.4248 via Device Manager search the web for driver.  He installed Intel Driver Update Utility 2.2, but newer driver was not installed due to "driver installed by manfacturer (HP).

HP Support person recommended restoring back to restore point prior to Microsoft "upgrade 1511".   I was not comfortable doing this, as "upgrade" was a significant update from Microsoft using the same process as the intial migration from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10.  The customer can no longer control timing of updates, and updates are cumulative - no longer able to pick and choose specific updates.

For now I have deceided to live with this error condition, as it seems to be affecting games and not other normal operations.  My laptop does have an HP-supplied NVIDIA Geforce GT 740M, which is Windows 10 compliant and appears to be functioning normally.  Some of my apps choose the Intel driver, and others choose the NVIDIA driver.  I am not sure how the apps choose which to use.

How is a problem like this to be resolved when Microsoft completly controls the update mechanism and HP does not appear to update drivers available via HP Support on a frequent basis?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I disabled the Intel HD graphics driver, and used the NVIDIA graphics driver to play the game.  No problem.

Disabling the Intel driver resulted in the fan speed reving at a higher speed intermittently.

HP Smart Friend support assured me that the higher fan speed behavior would not result in problems with premature hardware failure down the road.  Do you concur?

They indicated my choices were to keep the Intel HD graphic driver disabled and use the NVIDIA solely, or live with the problem until HP releases a newer Intel driver - it only affects game playing, all other functions appear to be normal. 

View solution in original post

183 REPLIES 183
HP Recommended

Hi @Dgood43,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community!

I came across your post about the Notebook, and wanted to assist you! I would be happy to assist if needed as there are many models of HP Envy 15 Notebooks, I would need the model number.

How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?

Please let me know.

You can say thanks for trying to help by clicking the Thumbs Up below!:smileyhappy:.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Thank you for your quick response!

HP ENVY 15t-j100 Quad Edition CTO Notebook PC (ENERGY STAR)

Model #: E1P05AV

HP Recommended

Hey @Dgood43,

Here is an updated version of driver sp72370.exe.

In the Device Manager, click the arrow next to Display Adaptors to expand that category
Right-click on Graphics and select Update Driver Software if more than 1 Graphics adapter do 1 at a time.
Choose the option to Search Automatically for Updated Driver Software.
The Notebook should find and automatically install the updated driver
After the installation is complete, restart your Notebook.

You could  try using the Windows Update Troubleshooting tool to fix any updates that have not come through for Windows.  Please restart the Notebook twice to make sure all update have been completed!

I hope something here helps.

Thanks

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

I did see that there was a October 25, 2015 update available to sp72370.

I downloaded it, and ran it from the downloaded file (as HP Support Assistant noted that I had already downloaded the soft pack once before).

I got the following error message:

The driver being installed is not validated for this computer.  Please obtain the appropriate driver from the computer manufacturer.  Setup will exit."

When I selected the Intel display adapter from Device Manager and asked it to update device driver by automatically searching, it said that I had the most current driver.

I ran the Windows Update Troubleshooter and got the message:

Service registration is missing or corrupt  Not fixed  Not Fixed

Reset service registration   Completed
HP Recommended

Hey @Dgood43,

Try this fix click the Windows icon, type services in the Search box, and then click or tap View Local Services. Scroll down to the Windows Installer. Startup type should be - Automatic, and Service Status should be - started.

Restart the computer after this step and try installing again.

Thanks,

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Windows Installer status was blank and startup type is manual.

I started it and status changed to "Running", but startup type was grayed out and could not be changed from "manual".

Did not see how to change that.

Restarted computer, but still could not install the updated driver.

HP Recommended

Hey @Dgood43,

That there are some damaged/corrupt System Files which is preventing the installation of the Update. Right click on the Windows Update service and select Properties. In Start-up type, select Enable.

Repeat the steps for the Background Intelligent Transfer Service & Cryptographic Service.

Restart the Notebook.

You might have to revert back to the previous Windows and then upgrade to Windows 10.

Thanks.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Both services stopped and restarted.  Startup type is "automatic" for both.

Restarted computer.

Still cannot install the update.

The driver being installed is not validated for this computer.  Please obtain the appropriate driver from the computer manufacturer.  Setup will exit."

HP Recommended

Hey @Dgood43,

Did you check the startup type after you restarted?

Try to update in the Device Manager. After the installation is complete, restart your Notebook.

You will need to try the clean install.

Thanks.

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.