Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Chromebook - 14-db0003na
Chrome OS

I'm experiencing a range of different problems when using the chromebook with Cast.  I have a chromecast connected to my TV.  Problems:

1.  The chromebook will not cast from a google meet tab.  It will cast OK from other tabs. Error connection lost.

2.  The chromebook will not cast from the google meet menu option to cast. Error connection lost.

3.  The chromebook will cast using  the cast screen but after about 30 mins the sound starts to break up and the screen is intermittently  blurry.

4.  The chromebook casts very well using the optimise cast which is sometimes offered by the browser with no degradation to sound or picture over a long period.  However, the cast continues even when the machine has supposedly powered off !

Does anybody have any ideas on whether these are OS issues and is there a way of raising them with HP so that they are properly logged and addressed ?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@older_guy

Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  
If your Chromecast doesn’t appear as an option when you’re choosing a device to cast to, it may not be installed properly. Try unplugging the Chromecast, plugging it back in, and allowing it to reconnect to the wireless network. You can also try restarting your Chrome browser.

And, also try this workaround: 

You first want to make sure that the Chrome browser is installed and updated. Then:

1. Open a Chrome browser window on your computer or laptop

2. When you want to start streaming to your television, click on the three dots in the browser’s upper right corner

3. Select “Cast” and choose the available Chromecast device you want to use

4. If you have more than one Chromecast in your home, all of the devices that are within range will show up for selection

5. When you click the “Sources” button to activate the dropdown list, choose between the three display options:

• Cast tab, which will only show the active tab you are working in
  • Cast desktop, which will show your entire desktop or laptop screen, even when not browsing
  • Cast file of your choosing

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for your suggestions.  Let me clarify.

I can Cast and it works fine from a windows laptop so I conclude from this that there is not a problem with the chromecast device itself.

However, I have problems when using it with my HP Chromebook model 14-db0003na.  It will generally cast tabs OK but will not cast reliably from a tab running Google meet.  Neither will it cast from the cast option in Google meet page.  In both cases it shows 'error connection lost'.  I can however cast reliably using full screen.  However, in this case the sound starts to break up after around 30 mins.  I do not have these problems with the windows laptop running Chrome.  I have reported these problems using the error reporting built into the Chromebook but, as yet, they remain unresolved.

The browser in the Chromebook is integral to the OS so cannot be updated separately.  I am running the latest version of the OS.

HP Recommended

@older_guy

Thank you for posting back. 

I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue, as we have limited support boundaries in the support community as of now.

I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.