Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Envy M7
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have been fighting the jumping mouse pointer issue. It would jump to the top middle of the screen. I finally figured out it is the touchscreen. I disabled it and no more jumping. If I enable it, it starts jumping again. I do like using the touchscreen sometimes. Any idea what could be causing this?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@Nightowl1966 Greetings from the HP Community!

Attempt using an alternate/external mouse.

(If that works when the touchpad is disabled on Synaptic software, it would mean that it's a touchpad failure,

However, if the external mouse doesn't work either, it could be a software/driver issue).

Uninstall and reinstall the drivers for your mouse:

Go to the Device Manager and select your mouse. Uninstall it and then restart your computer. During restart, your mouse driver will automatically be reinstalled.

• 1.   Click on Start and type ‘Device Manager’.
  • 2.   Click Device Manager.
  • 3.   Click + sign next to Mouse.
  • 4.   Right-click on mouse entry and choose "uninstall".
  • 5.   Restart your computer.

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us within 24 - 48hrs, and have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have tried disabling the touch pad, uninstalling drivers, using external mouse. It keeps jumping back to the same spot on the screen. When I disabled the touchscreen, it stopped. So I am thinking it is not a mouse/touchpad problem, but a touchscreen problem. When using the touchscreen a blue dot/circle appears where the screen is touched. When the pointer would jump, I would see that circle.

HP Recommended

@Nightowl1966

Thank you for the update.

Please try the below steps and let us know.

1] Change Power Management Settings

Windows 10 touchscreen devices are configured to preserve power, but sometimes unforeseen changes can make your touchscreen overactive. As such, it is desirable to turn off or disable the power saving of your touchscreen. To do this,

Press Windows key + X to open a menu. From it, select Device Manager.

Next, double click on Human Interface Devices, then double click the listing for the HID-compliant touch screen.

The action, when confirmed, will open a new window. Switch to the Power Management tab and uncheck ‘Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power’ option. Click OK, then restart your system.

2] Update or Rollback Graphics Driver

Check with Windows Update, and see if there is an update pending which relates with your Graphics Drivers. If necessary, you can always install them manually from the OEMs website. However, If you recently updated the graphics drivers, you may want to roll back to the old one. Open Device Manager > Select the Graphics Driver > Look for the Roll Back button. This is only enabled when its a recent update. Please update the graphics drivers.

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

There is no Power Management tab.  I had turned the touchscreen back on and had no problems for a few days. When I got up today pointer started jumping. I disabled the touchscreen and it stopped. 

HP Recommended

@Nightowl1966

I understand your concerns.

Try updating the computer, this will install the latest updates -

Step 1 Windows Updates -

1) In the search box, type, and open Windows Updates.

2) Check for updates.

3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.

Step 2 HP Support Assistant Updates -

1) In the search box, type, and open HP Support Assistant.

2) Check for updates.

3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

Both were up to date.

HP Recommended

@Nightowl1966 

In that case, You have to perform the system restore.

Please refer to the below link.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03327545

If the issue still persists, you have to perform the recovery.

Performing the recovery you will lose the personal data and installed application.

Please refer to the following link to perform the recovery.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04742289

Have a  nice day!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.