Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 17-e113dx Notebook
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

I am trying to help a neighbor sort out a nasty problem. His computer was working just fine and recently the keyboard stopped working. The mouse still works properly. Hooking up a USB keyboard did nothing to fix the problem and also did not work. I tried reinstalling Windows on the notebook, when booting Windows 8 allowed me to type in the username password etc.  but when continuing to boot to the desktop Windows the keyboard is no longer available i.e. does not work at all.  i.e., right click and try to rename an Icon or click on Internet Explorer and try to type in a URL the keyboard does not work.

I found numerous sites (the HP forum and other sites) on the Internet encountering a similar problem and none of the so-called solutions I found worked to resolve the problem. I have tried deleting the keyboard driver through device manager, re-booting etc. I tried suggested registry changes, nothing seems to work.

There must be a rational solution to this problem but it is beyond me. I might add that when Windows boots up I am able to type in the user's password so the keyboard does appear to be working until Windows actually goes to the desktop and then nothing works on the keyboard.  Also when doing a cold boot pressing the ESC, F9 etc. work to allow me to enter the BIOS so it does not seem like the keyboard hardware is at fault, it has to be something with a Windows 8 setting on boot up to the desktop.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi! @jfail, Thanks for stopping by HP forums!

I understand the laptop keyboard is not working functioning correctly.

Don't worry I will try to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your PC?

As you mentioned the issue still persists with an external keyboard.

Try restoring the BIOS to default and check if the issue persists.

Turn on your PC keep tapping the F10 key.

From the file or main menu select restore defaults.

Select yes to confirm, Press F10 save changes and exit.

Also, try the steps recommended below.

If your keyboard is not working:
Turn off the computer and then restart it.
Press the Esc key repeatedly to see if a startup menu opens.
If a setup menu does not open, the integrated keyboard hardware is not working. The integrated keyboard in the notebook should be serviced or replaced. To continue using the notebook, connect a USB-wired keyboard to a USB port and restart the computer.
If a setup menu opens, use the arrow keys to navigate the menus. If these keys are working in the startup menu, but then fail when Windows loads, the problems might be related to the keyboard software.
Restart the computer.
In Device Manager, uninstall and reinstall the keyboard software:
In Windows, search for and open Device Manager.
Click View and select Show Hidden Devices.
Click the arrow next to Keyboards, right-click the keyboard device name, then select Uninstall to remove the device from Windows.
Continue removing device names in the Keyboards category until all device names have been uninstalled.
Restart the notebook. Right-click Start (), select Shut down or sign out, then select Restart.
Wait for the computer to restart and open Windows.
The keyboard should now work correctly. To test the keyboard for key or hardware failures, see Testing for Hardware Failures (Windows 10, 8).

Refer this article to further troubleshoot keyboard issues.

Hope this helps!

Have a pleasant day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have tried each and every one of your suggestions numerous times and still no luck.  The ESC and F10 keys do indeed bring up the setup/BIOS functions normally.  I reset using F9 and saved using F10 many times.  Those keys responding on power up would certainly indicate the keyboard is working properly.  On Windows 8.1 startup I am able to type in my neighbors password and Windows does indeed show the keys for the password being typed.  It then boots to the desktop normally, however if I for example click on "Start" and try to type in something to "Search programs and files" there is no response to pressed keys or if I right click on a desktop icon to "Rename" it there is no response to the pressed keys.  Windows 8.1 recognizes a USB device being connected when I connect a USB keyboard through it's normal sound alert to a new USB device being connected however no keys from the USB keyboard are functional or displayed.The mouse/touchpad respond normally to functions.

I have reinstalled Windows numerous times and nothing fixes the problem.

HP Recommended

I ran the quick and extensive tests via F2.  The quick test passed ok.  I ran the extensive test and got a failure:

Processor check: PASSED

Hard Drive SMART check: PASSED

Hard Drive Short DST Check: PASSED

Hard Drive Optimized DST Check: FAILED

FAILURE ID: OLVU2F-72W8KR-MFPV6J-61XFO3

PRODUCT ID: F9M03U#ABA

Hard Drive 1

System Extensive Test: FAILED

Press Escape (esc) to go back to main menu or click on the button below.

----------------------

Pressing ESC on the keyboard returned to the previous UEFI menu so that proves (I would surmise) that the keyboard hardware is working, up until Windows 8.1 boots.

HP Recommended

@jfail, It's been great to hear from you again, I was indeed waiting for your response.

I appreciate your efforts for trying out the steps.

As you mentioned when you ran the diagnostics the hard drive test failed with a failure ID.

I would suggest go to recovery manager and open command prompt and check if the keys are functioning correctly.

To boot into recovery manager turn on your PC keep tapping the F11 key you will boot into recovery manager.

Select troubleshoot from the list -- Select advance and Select command prompt.

If all the keys are working fine, please replace the hard drive on your PC and check again.

If the keys are not functioning correctly, please contact HP support and get the service options.

Link to contact HP.

I'll watch your reply!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Following your instructions using F11 > command prompt etc. I find the keyboard is working fine at the command prompt.

HP Recommended

@jfail, Thanks for your quick response and time.

Kudos to you for trying out the steps.

As I had suggested in my previous thread it's an issue with the hard drive.

Please replace the hard drive on your PC and the issue should be fixed.

Contact HP support and get the service options.

Link to contact HP.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Take Care! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.