Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavillion 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

A day or so ago my laptop display is very dim after opening the lid.....you can just faintly see the sign in box.  If I unplug the power cord the display brightness becomes normal and stays that way if I replug the power cord.  It is only dim after I open the lid.  Any suggestions?  THANKS!!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@MikeT181, Thanks for your response and time.

Kudos to you for trying out the steps.

As you mentioned that the brightness bar is missing from your PC.

Please try the steps mentioned below.

1- Click start type device manager in the search box open "Device Manager".
2- Then go to "Monitors" the device you have under Monitors is most likely disabled  
3- Right click on the monitor and enable the device and the slider should work fine.

If the issue still persists, try performing a system restore and check if it helps

Please refer this link to know how to perform a system restore.

If there are no restore points available on your PC, try performing a system recovery.

Refer this link to know how to perform a system recovery.

Let me know how if this helps.

Have a beautiful day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi! @MikeT181, Thanks for stopping by HP forums! 🙂

I understand that the laptop screen is very dim when the adapter is plugged in.

Don't worry I will try to help you out.

Please provide the product number of your laptop to help you better.

Did you make any hardware or software changes to your PC?

Go into Windows Control Panel>>Power Options>>Power Management, Select adjust plan brightness, Use the slider and increase until the end when plugged in. Click save changes.

Or use Fn key + F10 Key to increase the brightness.

I'll watch your reply!

Have a wonderful day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi MrRobot:

I am using a HP Pavillion 15, x64-based laptop....the model number is F5U90UA and I am running Windows 10.  I have not loaded any newer software and any updates are done automatically.

I do not have a Power Management option under Powers Option...it goes to "Choose or customize a power plan".  Where should I go from there??

Again, the screen is very dim when I open the lid and the power cord is plugged in.  When I unplug the cord the screens returns to normal brightness and stays that when when I plug the power cord back in.

THANKS!!!

MikieT181

HP Recommended

Click start select All settings>>select System>>select Display>>Increase the Brightness Level to 100%.

Also, go to Settings > Display > Advanced Display Settings > Display Adapter Properties

Then Properties > Driver Tab > Update Driver button.

If the issue still persists, uninstall the graphics driver from device manager and install the latest graphics driver from the link below.

Please update the graphics driver using this link.

Also, update the BIOS using this link.

Let me know if this helps!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi MrRobot:

When I go to Display the brightness bar is not there......only the "Change the size of text, apps and other items" (which is at 100%) and the "Orientation" box.  Nothing else but Advanced Display Settings.

I went to Advanced Setings and tried to update the driver but it said that I had the latest driver.  I also updated the BIOS and the Graphics Driver but the laptop is still doing the same thing.

What else should I try???

HP Recommended

As you mentioned you don't see brightness bar on your PC.

Try checking with a different adapter and check if it works.

Also, Try performing a hard reset on your PC and check if helps.

To perform a hard reset on a computer with a removable battery, perform the following steps:
Turn off the computer.
Remove the computer from any port replicator or docking station.
Disconnect all external connected peripheral devices such as USB storage devices, external displays, and printers.
Unplug the AC adapter from the computer.
Remove the battery from the battery compartment.
Press and hold down the Power button for about 15 seconds to drain any residual electrical charge from the capacitors that protect the memory.
Insert the battery and plug the AC adapter back into the notebook computer, but do not connect any of the peripheral devices.
Press the Power button to turn on the computer.
If a startup menu opens, use the arrow keys to select Start Windows Normally, and then press the Enter key.

Refer this article to further troubleshoot brightness issues.

Take care,                                

Have a great day! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi MrRobot:

I do not understand what you mean by trying a different adapter.  I click Start, Settings, System to get to the Display screen where the brightness bar is missing.

I tried the hard reset and the laptop is doing the same thing.

What next??

HP Recommended

As you mentioned that the brightness bar is missing from your PC.

1- Click start type device manager in the search box open "Device Manager".
2- Then go to "Monitors" the device you have under Monitors is most likely disabled  
3- Right click on the monitor and enable the device and the slider should work fine.

If the issue still persists, try performing a system restore and check if it helps

Please refer this link to know how to perform a system restore.

If there are no restore points available on your PC, try performing a system recovery.

Refer this link to know how to perform a system recovery.

Let me know how if this helps.

Have a beautiful day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi MrRobot:

Enabling the monitor apparently did the trick......thanks for you help!!

HP Recommended

Hi @MikeT181! You're welcome and thanks for the reply,

I am happy to hear that your issue got resolved.

If you have any queries in future related to any HP products, you can always reach out to us.

We will try our best to help you out.

Take care,            

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.