Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
17 inch laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am traveling with laptop that is normally connected to multiple monitors. Certain programs that are apparently remembered by laptop are opening in monitor that is not connected. I have tried all the obvious fixes but laptop continues to open these programs on disconnected monitors. One of my monitors uses a USB to HDMI adapter with required driver. I suspect that I plugged another device into the USB  and inadvertently modified the driver. I have been unable to find the driver to reinstall it. Can anyone suggest another method of redirecting all programs to the laptop screen? Doing the Windows +P and selecting PC only screen does not work.

Any suggestions appreciated    

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@GKROEGER 

I also use a laptop with an external monitor and like you, I position windows on the external monitor and sometimes, I turn the laptop off without first closing the window or moving it to the laptop screen.

When I then turn on the laptop without the external monitor, I am stuck in the same situation -- as I have found no way to then force the windows that is open on the now non-connected external monitor to move to the laptop screen.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.