Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP 15-ay196nr 65XX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Half the time (most of the time?) the screen goes weird at startup or after sleeping. I must move the lid back and forth until the regular desktop/background appears and I can login. Pressing keys is useless. This playing with the lid/opening and closing the lid can take anywhere from a few seconds to 10 minutes or more.

Also sometimes the screen spontaneously goes black, takes spontaneous "naps" (randomly enters sleep mode). I'm just typing along and lights out. So I play with the keys and touchpad until it wakes up and the regular image appears. Or not. It may or may not be the weird background, see above. Rinse and repeat.

Plus my laptop is getting harder and harder to wake up. I must play with the keys and touchpad longer and longer until it wakes. Like the login screen appears but before I can login it goes black again. And sometimes the usual doesn't work and I must perform "CPR"-press the power button again. On top of all that I think all this opening and closing the lid is weakening it and creating new problems.[Edit: opening and closing the lid as little as possible seems to help, a little.]

It's an HP 15-ay196nr Laptop Touchscreen i7 with Windows® 10 Home. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

JJ

PS Here are some pictures.

IMG_6103-min.JPGIMG_6123-min.JPGIMG_6133-min.JPGIMG_6158-min.JPGIMG_6161-min.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@GeminiBusiness,

Thanks for the update as the issue persists on the BIOS page.

It certainly sounds like a hardware issue with the laptop display.

Please contact HP support for service options.

Contact HP support using this link. Click Here

Take Care! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hey there! @GeminiBusiness,

Were there any physical damages to the PC?

Does the issue persist on the BIOS page?

Have you tried checking with an external monitor does the issue persist?

If the issue does not persist in BIOS try updating the graphics driver and BIOS on the PC.

Uninstall the graphics driver from device manager and install the latest version of BIOS and graphics drivers on the PC using the links below.

Update the graphics driver using this link. Click Here

Also, update the BIOS using this link. Click Here

Also, Try restoring the BIOS to default and check if it helps.

1.    Turn off the computer and wait five seconds.
2.    Press the Power button to start the computer and repeatedly press the F10 key to enter the BIOS setup menu.
3.    On the BIOS Setup screen, press F9 to select and load the BIOS Setup Default settings.
4.    Press F10 to Save and Exit.
5.    Use the arrow keys to select Yes, then press Enter when asked Exit Saving Changes?
6.    Follow the prompts to restart your computer.

Refer this article to further troubleshoot display issues with the PC. Click Here

If the issue still persists after trying out the steps. It is a hardware issue with the PC.

Please contact HP support for service options. Click Here

Let me know how it goes!

I hope you have a great day! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

First of all thank you very much replying.

There is absolutely no physical damage ever, the thing barely leaves my room. And I could not get an external monitor to work on my laptop so I'm sure about that.

But I pressed F1 to access the BIOS and then F2 for UEFI. The problem is still there but only briefly. So yes but way less than before. The distortion appears fast, maybe instantly, as soon as I press the power button.

Hopeful,

John

HP Recommended

@GeminiBusiness,

Thanks for the update as the issue persists on the BIOS page.

It certainly sounds like a hardware issue with the laptop display.

Please contact HP support for service options.

Contact HP support using this link. Click Here

Take Care! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

First of all thank you again very much replying. And yeah that makes sense. It has so many other problems anyway.

Grateful,

JJ

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.