Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

At Windows Logon Screen, the letter keys are not working.  Pressing them causes no response.  Number keys work.  I turned of laptop and plugged in an external keyboard and had the same results.  My password has letters in it so I cannot log on.

I turned of the computer and restarted pressing the ESC key to get to the startup menu.  I was able to use the keyboard arrow keys to navigate to the keyboard test and all the keys  including the letter keys work on the HP test.

Back at the windows login screen, they still don't work.  After several attempts, the windows login screen said I had entered the wrong password several times and it asked me to enter the code A1B2C3 to get back to the logon screen.  I thought it wouldn't work becasue the letter keys aren't working but it did!  So after entering A1B2C3 in the lock out text box, it took me back to the logon screen and once again, the letter keys would not work.

Any help would be much appriceated since I cannot get logged in.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Well, I figured it out so thought I would post it in case someone else runs into this problem. There are two sign in options; pin or password. If you are in pin mode, only the digits work on your keyboard. Simply select the password option and all is right in the world again. 😊

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Just to add some more detail, trying to use the touchscreen doesn't work either.  Using the touchscreen through HP only brings up the number pad.  When I bring the touch screen up through Windoes using the Ease of Access button, it brings up a full keyboard, but it works just like the physical keyboard.  The letters keys are not responding.

HP Recommended
Well, I figured it out so thought I would post it in case someone else runs into this problem. There are two sign in options; pin or password. If you are in pin mode, only the digits work on your keyboard. Simply select the password option and all is right in the world again. 😊
HP Recommended
Thank you so much! I was having the exact same problem and your tip was exactly the fix. You saved me a lot of time and money!
HP Recommended

Where r the options?

HP Recommended

I had the same issue and this worked...thank you for posting 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.